Recipe for Buttercream Icing?

Wanting to bake a b-day cake for my sons b-day and need an easy recipe for buttercream icing. Would love to see what you ladies have.
Thanks!

starf1977

Asked by starf1977 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• 1/2 cup shortening
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 cups confectioners' sugar
    2 tablespoons milk

Directions
    1.In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and vanilla. Blend in the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk, and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered until ready to decorate.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Thank You So much!!!!
    starf1977

Comment by starf1977 (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I use 1 stick butter, 8 oz brick of cream cheese, and 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar and whip it with an electric mixer. It is lower in fat and has more body. If you add 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract no one can tell there is cream cheese in it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Look up "Rick's Buttercream" on allrecipes.com - I use it for about half of my cakes and love it!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    4 cups confectioners' sugar
    2 egg yolk, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons milk
    1.Cream butter until soft. Add salt and part of sugar gradually, blending after each addition. Then add egg yolks and vanilla; blend well. Add remaining sugar, alternately with milk, until of right consistency to spread, beating after each addition until smooth. Makes 2 1/2 cups or enough frosting to cover tops and sides of two 8 or 9 inch layers.
    2.Note: If desired, 1 whole egg may be substituted for the 2 egg yolks to make 2 3/4 cups frosting.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• for a fast and good tasting frosting I take 1 can of ready made cream cheese frosting, 1 8oz cream cheese, 1 teaspoon almond flavoring and powdered sugar to make it as thick as I need.
    tricia1332

Answer by tricia1332 at 3:56 AM on Aug. 27, 2010