when you leave the bottle, do you suggest straw cups or sippy cups?

why or why not? What brands do you suggest?

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 8:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We used both. I really like the Nuby brand. They really eased the transition for our son.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• sippy cups

the straw takes a totally new way to get the liquid out that isn't quite as easy transition as from bottle to sippy.

for first transitioning, I liked the Nuby brand because of the silicon spout, kind of an in between a bottle and cup. After that, I like the take and toss or gerber graduates kind. Yes they leak, but they are much easier to wash and if you lose a lid or it breaks, they are cheap. I hate those nasty valves on the the no spill kind! I did get some from walgreens that are a one piece silicon valve that aren't bad to clean, but the others that have the plastic insert for a valve totally suck!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I guess it depends if you're getting the child off the bottle at 6 mo,a year,or later. 6mo-a year,I'd suggest sippys.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I use First Years Take and Toss sippy's. They have hard nozzles, but are easy for my one year old to use. My oldest loves to drink from straws, too though. I guess it really depends on what your child likes.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 8:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I got several kinds to see what dd liked best. Now it doesn't matter, she's 2, but at the time she was picky. Even if I told you which one she liked best, that wouldn't mean your child liked that one! I bf'd, so we never did the bottle, but the transition to cup is probably pretty similar. Try 'em and see what works. Then, when your lo is older, I echo the take 'n toss. Five per package, I think, and the lids fit all of them. They've lasted me a year, so they don't fall apart too easily.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My son loves the straw cup, but the liquid remains in the top of the straw (above the spill proof valve) and spills. I like the Playtex sippy cups, never an issue with leaking and they're insulated so the drink stays cold longer.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• With our first, he loved the Nuby sippy cups. He wouldn't even use a straw until well over a year. WIth our second, he started using a straw before he even turned a year. I would say it depends on the child. But I would suggest Nuby sippy cups to help with transitioning from the bottle. Just try and see what they like!
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Well, sippies are easier. But they require the same sucking mouth movements and sucking action as bottles do. My pedi and pediatric dentist told me to do straws. We did sippies from 5 to 8 months and then went to straws :) My son never did like the sippies very much. He loves the straws though and took to them right away. Hes 14 months today and hes a pro straw user. He hasnt had a sippy since just before 9 months, and hasnt had a bottle since 2 days after he turned 1 :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:50 AM on Aug. 27, 2010