Certain foods after a certain age?

Does anyone NOT give their children certain foods before a certain age? My daughter has had eggs and peanut butter and a few bites of tuna fish, catfhish and tilapia. Those were the only foods I've heard of that may not be good to give children younger than 2 years old. She hasn't had shrimp or any other type of seafood but I'm not aware of any other foods that may not be ok for her to eat yet...

careph

Asked by careph at 8:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it depends on if food allergies run in the family or not. For me, no one on either side has any food allergies so I didn't worry about the eggs or peanut butter.

the only one I listened to was the honey because that's about bacteria not allergy
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I'm right there with you DarkFaery131
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 9:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Peanut butter (there is a history of allergies in our family) and honey. We try new foods in small doses to make sure there is no allergic reaction, but we really haven't limited our daughter's feedings.
    JCrump316

Answer by JCrump316 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Nope...I think you're pretty much in the clear once they're over 1 (assuming to food allergies in the family). I give my daughter honey...I've read that once they're over 1 you're good. Honey is really good for you...it actually has antibacterial qualities and tons of antioxidants.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Peanut butter wasn't just about allgeries - it's often suggested you wait on introducing it because of the thick, sticky texture. It can be a choking hazard for young children.

There are conflicting reports on whether holding off introduction of foods helps or hurts your odds regarding allergies. Some studies say it may actually be better NOT to delay introduction while other studies show that delayin introduction can improve your odds. Go figure. ;)

Personally? I 'm not a medical professional or a researcher. I have a child with food allergies and a family (DHs side) with a history of FAs. We waited until Meg was 2 to give her peanut butter and it didn't matter. She's allergic to it, tree nuts and shellfish. I honestly think she was simply born allergic. Nothing we did or didn't do was going to change that.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010