Would you let your child see a therapist?

If there was something wrong with your child such as acting out, depression, ect. , and you couldn't figure out why.... would you allow him/her to see a therapist? Why or why not?

I really needed some emotional support when I was younger and my parents would not allow me to see a therapist, now I know other people that will not allow their kids to see a therapist also and I'm just curious to why?

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would seek whatever professional required to help my child. Don't be influenced by others - do what you think is right for your family.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My son sees a psychologist for his ADHD and ODD. It has really helped him and me out a lot. He gives us ideas and advice to use at home and school.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would. Matter of fact, both of my boys are signed up to receive counseling through the school this year. My oldest has been acting out at home and at school lately, and I think it may have something to do with his dad dying 5 years ago. Either way, something is going on in that boy's head and I would like him to get help.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• my son at 4 years 11mos old had IQ and stanford binet testing done by a therapist. I hated her, her notes, etc etc and will never ever allow my child to see one, period. she ruined it for me and my family. ew ew ew ew ew .... unless my kid turns into a psycho firebug or something, we'll deal with any issues or depression with the pediatrician
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Of course I would. However, because of my own experience with childhood therapy I would also seek additional help as well as find myself a therapist in order to support my child the best I can.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• In my personal opinion I would definatley let my child see a therapist whether I or they though it was needed. I also had some depression anxiety when i was younger and not that my parents wouldnt allow me to go but just that i didnt think i had enough of a problem to see a therapist or rather didnt think of it. i would definatley let my child see one though.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• yes... and I have
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My mom would let me see one, but if the therapist didn't agree with everything she said 100% she would stop taking me and switch to a new one. I "got caught" not begin a christain any more and my mom wanted a therapist to tell her that something was wrong with me, but none of them did, they said it was normal for teenagers to question their faith and explore other faiths.

I think a lot of parents don't want a doctor telling them the child's behavior is normal or natural when the parents want a diagnosis and a cure.

I also think some people worry CPS will take away their kids if a doctor or therapist knows too much about them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Oh yeah, I should probably add that this isn't regarding my child. I was just curious plus, I'm going to school to become a therapist (go figure ha!) and I know some people don't like my kind lol.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• This is an interesting question for me today in particular. On Monday I received a letter for my child's school saying they were contracting with a counseling service for students that need it... and my kid was recommended for the counseling.
    I didn't know why, no reason was given. As far as I knew everything was fine. I sent email after email to find out why they would recommend it for my child. I was worried there was something going on at school that I was not aware of. Finally I talked to the dean of students and he told me that he recommended the counseling for my son, because he talked to him a few weeks ago and my son had talked about how a girl died at the summer camp he was at. I thought my son had been dealing well with it. He has not been willing to talk to me much about it. I am extremely grateful that counseling is an option. I was relieved to find out that was the reason for the suggestion. He will start next wk
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010