Is anyone else annoyed that written language is going the way of the Dodo?

I am seriously annoyed and offended by this textual society. Augh! Stop it already! Slow down, enjoy the words.

Seriously. Even when I text message on my phone, I use capital letters at the beginning of sentences and punctuation. I don't shortcut, I type it all out.

Is anyone else offended, or am I just being a beast?

SkyeGirl

Asked by SkyeGirl at 8:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Yes, I find it annoying as well. While I can easily overlook a typo (when it is obvious that is what it was), I get very annoyed by "text" typing. Srsly, y do u do it ppl? I find terrible spelling WAY more annoying, though. Even if you aren't much of a speller, ALL computers have spell-check. I will admit that if I am carrying on a casual conversation on AIM or facebook, I often neglect my shift key. (For example: everything i type will be in lower case.) I can't take people seriously when they are neglecting proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. If you want to carry on an intelligent conversation - be intelligent!

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• technology has it's advances and there are those who choose not to follow in the new and advancing ways of society... it's simply your choice, it happens every new year and decade. Just stay who you are and let everyone else who wants to advance. We are who we choose to be. -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 8:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I think that is the point...all rules of grammer are to be broken in the name of time. Short and to the point. I do however get offended when they add extra letters like Emilyyy. Just plain stupid. Then there is the whole cafemom slaughter of the English language all together...makes you wonder how we ever became a developed country with the way some of the women spell on this site...or should I say don't spell. Hang in there...but I will admit that I do not waste time using caps and punctuation when texting...i am usually in a hurry and just need to get my point accross.
    Anonymous

• Don't you know it so its easier to text while driving ; )
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• why would you take the time to text in proper english. who has the time. i get annoyed when people write words like witch rather then which since that is what they mean. i figure they are not educated enough to know any better or if they know that is the wrong spelling but to scared to ask for the correct spelling. and yes i think your being a beast. texting is to get your point across not to have someone be the text patrol and tell you that you should take pain staking time to have your text messages be perfect. someone is a bit of perfectionist i think.
    Anonymous

• No you are not alone I am the same way, some how I don't mind just spelling the whole thing out now if it is some thing like I love you or ok something simple and much more common then maybe I will do that. But some of those abr. I don't understand.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I don't care if people type like that while texting...texting is annoying in the first place : /

But yeah, on the internet, I expect people to actually type out stuff. How hard is it to say "What are you doing?" instead of "wut u doin"?!?!?!?! Seriously. Takes like .5 seconds longer. Grrr.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I am annoyed by it as well. I do everything in a text, email, online, anywhere, like I might if I were turning it for a grade. Call me lame. I am just that way. I do not like getting a text that has missing letters, made up words, or no proper punctuation. I type everything out in text messages, even when I am in a hurry. It doesn't take much longer. I don't think you are a beast. If you are, then I guess I am too.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 9:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It wouldn't be so annoying if we weren't turning into a society that has to spell in text because we don't know how to spell the actual words! I think it's kind of scary how many people have not yet mastered the English language by the time they reach adulthood. What really irritates me are people who speak in text.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 10:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It doesnt bother me one bit.Im a MAJOR texter also . i try my best but some times out of habit i 4get(forget) what i am doing lol(laughing out loud)
    Anonymous