My Grade 4 kid is having problems w/ reading comprehension and the writing ability.

can anyone give me advice and materials to use for teaching them. i want to make it fun to them . i even bought a very nice book so she can be inspired writing but it just doesn't work. If she has homework it takes an hour or two to do a 45 minute homework. I don't know what to do anymore. PLEASE ME. THANK YOU SO MUCH

jjfaraon

Asked by jjfaraon at 9:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think a tutor might help you. Is English your first language?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Has she been evaluated for learning disabilities? It doesn't mean that she is not intelligent - she just may learn best if the information is presented to her in a different way than her peers. My husband wasn't dx'd with dyslexia until the summer before his senior year. He went from being a C/D student since 3rd grade to an A/B student his senior year by simply getting dx'd and learning how to he needed approach the work.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• YES
    jjfaraon

Comment by jjfaraon (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Reading comprehension means she isn't able to answer questions about what shes' just read, so you could read her stories and ask questions, just practice. Get her to write her own stories.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Well in her state evaluation she seem s to pass. and i noticed that she wants to finish her work quick and not even think about it.
    jjfaraon

Comment by jjfaraon (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• There are some reading comprehension activities on Florida's Reading First website.

http://www.fcrr.org/curriculum/studentCenterActivities45.shtm

Scroll down to the blue bar that says Comprehension. Click on one of the four parts. There are over 60 activities for each part. Some activities your child may already grasp the concept so you can move on to the next activity or do it as a refresher. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Have you had you child tested for any possible learning disabilities? My 4th grader shaes the same issues and this summer her school did several tests with her, one to see if she would need and "IEP"-extra help. She also saw a speech pathologist. We are currently waiting for the results. I know it may be hard to admit your child may hve some learning disabllities, but to identify them could really help your child. The school can help-just ask.
    Chan13

Answer by Chan13 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• is there any ideas that you can share to motivate her. i even bought her a nice notebook to make it her journal. i running out of ideas. Appreciate your reply CAFEMOMS.
    jjfaraon

Comment by jjfaraon (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My son had problems with reading comprehension and hated to read...come to find out my kid needed glasses. I didn't figure that out until last year...now he loves reading since he can see the words...and his grades have all improved.
    The other thing with my son is he has short term memory loss (the school can evaluate for that too) which is a pain for him when it comes to telling the pieces of the story over.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• really appreciate your Reply CAFEMOMS. i will email her teacher and ask about things.
    jjfaraon

Comment by jjfaraon (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010