How can I interest my 3 year old son in using the potty?

Chan13

Asked by Chan13 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sink the cheerio's!!! My son loved it.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't know about boys specifically but my girls trained with a reward system. They got 1 regular marshmello for going p in the potty, 2 for going p in the potty and their pull up was dry, and 5 for poo in the potty. Worked like a charm. I know other people have used sticker charts and when he gets enough stickers he gets a special prize, like a toy he's been wanting.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My parents always told me to have them aim at cheerios. They say it's perfect for little boys.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yeah the cereal didn't work for me my son was confused on why I was throwing his food in the toilet he is a very anal boy lol I just told him to make bubbles in the toilet! And that did the trick, cause when they stand and there urine hits the water it make little bubbled and she loved it I told him is was a cool trick that he could do :)
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• yeah, try to make it fun, aiming for the cheerios works. Also at this age, they can understand easy, so just tell them how they're big now, and you can make charts, with stickers, with the end reward of a cool toy that they really want. I think I would just throw out all the diapers/pullups whatever you're using and tell them they need to use the potty now, and if it's a huge struggle, make them clean themselves up after accidents. They'll get it, after a few times. They know and understand at this age, and they definitely have the physical ability, so it's just a matter of stubborness at this point. Good luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Dish detergent in the water makes bubbles when you pee....
    Melissa G.

Answer by Melissa G. at 10:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They have books and videos that can start getting a child interested before actually potty training. Another good way would be to have him help you pick out his very own potty, toilet paper, special soap and new big boy underwear!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:43 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Melissa! That is hilarious! I love it.

I have a friend who has 2 kinds of panties for her DD. White and princess. She starts in the princess panties, but if she wets them she has to wear the white ones the rest of the day. Just a thought. (Maybe not princesses though.. Maybe trucks or cars or whatever it is that boys like. Hehe)
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! We actually had a good weekend! Devin's big sister Jada was home and they are very close! Jada worked diligently with Devin-she made little tickets that he earns when he uses thw potty. He turns the tickets in for prizes. He did very well. He is actually doing great pooping, and the peeing is a little harder? I know it sounds backwards-but that's how it is for Devin.
    Chan13

Comment by Chan13 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We are still working on it! Thsi morning I caught Devin trying to go in the corner to squat and take a poop! I made him go to the potty! And he did and took a great poop on the potty! As long as I catch him before he goes in that corner to squat! He is not doing well with #1 at all. Whenever he put's underwear on he can't stay dry-as soon as I remind him to go potty, he pee's on himself! It's so frustrating! It's really becoming an issue because I want to put him in preschool, and most of the 3 year old classes require the child to be potty trained! I don't want to put him in a two year old class! He is already so big! he weighs 48lbs! And he is advanced. And the biggest reason of all! The $! It costs too much to put him in preschool and not have him in the correct age group! So we are gonna get serious now! I will keep you posted! Again thank you for all your suggestions!
    Chan13

Comment by Chan13 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2010