I am only 23 years old and my hair has been falling out a lot.

Every time I shower my hair clogs the drain and it starts filling up as if I were to take a bath. I am going bald near my temples. If I run my fingers through my hair while it is dry I pull hair out when I don't even tug on my hair. What causes this? I am freaking out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Health

• Go to the doctor. Hair loss is a sign of several different medical problems. You need to have your thyroid levels checked.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Did you just have a baby? Postpartum alopecia can start as late as a year after baby! Also, if not the case, it could be hormonal or a sign of a serious deficiency and you should get blood work done. For now, use tea tree shampoos for scalp health, and it will beef up your hair texture a little and keep the hair follicles free of debris. Nioxin is way more exspensive so try this first! Cheap shampoos build up wax and artifical protiens in the hair follicles and make it worse.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You should check with your doctor, but did you just have a baby? If so, I know it's pretty common to have hair loss about 6 months or so after birth. Also, how are your eating habits? If you are malnurished, it can cause hair loss too.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 9:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• btw, if it is postpartum alopecia, relax, it will grow back. Just follow these care instructions. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I'm 44 and have gotten used to it ROFLMAO.... could just be crazy hormones... make sure you are taking your vitamins and eating healthy.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Sounds like you either have a vitimin deficiency or something more severe. Contact your doctor immediately.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I was going to tell you to look at the symptoms of thyroid problems, but SleepingBeautee beat me to it!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Probaly just hormones..its what I have been told. I am 20 and have been having dramatic hairloss since I hit puberty probaly. I take a shower and I lose a dog (seriously that much hair)..then I comb it out..and another cat (lol). Sometimes I can just let my hair down and run my fingers threw it and just clumps come with it. I've talked to docs and stuff and they say stress and hormones..and thats about it.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 9:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If you just had a baby, this may be quite normal. Most women's hair thickens during pregnancy, it stops it's normal shedding cycle and holds onto all the hair, after baby is born, it lets it go, and it feels like a ton. I had it till about 6 months post partum. If this is not a possible reason, then I'd have to guess it have something to do with either your diet, or your thyroid levels. Go to the doctor and get some blood work done. good luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i lost a great deal of hair the 1st six months after each of my children were born. i had various bald spots throughout my scalp. lovely i know. but it all grew back. if you haven't had a baby recently, check with your doctor. thyroid issues can cause hair loss.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 10:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010