Tooth extraction

I'm scheduled to have one or two teeth removed on Saturday! I'm very nervous!! Has anyone had any teeth removed?? What was it like? What was the pain level? Did you get any pain killers?? If so, what was it? What was the recovery process like? Any advice would be great! Thanks!!

newmom28

Asked by newmom28 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Health

• It really depends on how they are going to numb you. Are you going under or just getting a local anesthetic. I was put out to have all four of my wisdoms removed, two had to be cut out of my gum. I didn't feel anything (other than the i.v. tube) until my meds wore off a few hours later. Yeah, it's painful, but nothing on having a baby. My husband has had extractions with just the local, and he said he couldn't feel pain, but had to sit there with his mouth open. He could feel the pressure, and the jerking around when they broke the teeth out. I think they sent me home with hydrocodone, so yeah good pain meds. Make sure you follow their rules for afterwards. Like no smoking, or drinking through a straw. You'll want to eat only soft, bland foods for the first few days at least. The good thing is, is that mouth wounds heal very quickly. Good luck!
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 9:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I've had my wisdom teeth cut out once and another time a molar pulled. I chose sedation for both, I'm so bad I need the gas just for a cleaning! Very little pain after. Just be careful and don't smoke or use straws for however long the dentist tells you. If you do, you'll get something called a dry socket (I think that's what it's called) which is very painful. I was sent home with antibiotics to prevent infection and told to take 2-4 OTC ibuprofen for pain as needed. I only needed them right after. Ask about taking some tylenol before. It cuts back on the pain and swelling after. Also swish in salt water (they'll explain how much) to keep food and stuff out. Good luck :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I didn't experience any pain. I was just numbed locally, in my gums. I will tell you though that if you are numbed in the roof of your mouth, that shot is uncomfortable until it is numb and after it wears off. I didn't take any pain meds.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010