• In the Spotlight:

Any ideas for fun outdoor activities for a 15-month old?

I want to get as much outdoor time with my daughter before winter hits. Any suggestions?

JCrump316

Asked by JCrump316 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go to the park and have a picnic or take a game with you that you can sit down and play. Also maybe look into dog shows in the area. We have them around here and its always a nice day outside.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• water, sand, trucks, rocks, mud, leaves, running, jumping, tumbling, chasing, throwing a ball, bury some toys in the dirt, let her dig for them, chalk up the sidewalks, etc...
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 9:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• my daughter loves looking for bugs and digging in the dirt. she's very happy to sit next to the garden and dig everything up.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My 15 month old loves walking around and looking at everything. He loves the playground, playing with balls, and sidewalk chalk (he seems to find it tasty as well, so you might need to watch that one very carefully.)
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Do "themed" walks. i.e. A counting theme where you count everything you see....three trees, four ants, fifteen leaves, etc. You can do a color theme, a size theme, a "name" theme where you name everything you see, a sound theme where you talk about the sounds everything makes (crinkled leaves, tapping on a pole with a rock, etc.), a bug theme, etc. This is really good brain and body exercise. I also started doing "toddler led walks" around this age....where you let them have complete control (within reason) of where you go...it helps them feel empowered and in control.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010