Not sure what to do ... ( who is responsible to pay this back )

Last year my grandma and grandpa bought a carpet cleaner / steamer for a little over $300 ... It stays at my house and I am usually the only one who uses it ( use it at my house like every other week or so... and then I do my grandmas carpet when she needs it done ) ...... last weekend my aunt ( not related to my grandma/grandpa) borrowed it to do her living room and bedrooms.. I sent her a couple texts ( she never has answered when you actually call her phone, but instantly texts back when you text her) and messages on facebook, with no replies... I now find out her husband took and pawned it while she was at work ( he is a class act) . My grandma is now asking where it is ( wants carpet done) . He ( her husband) then told me he doesnt have to pay it back because I shouldnt have let them borrow it & that he doesnt have the money, is he right, should I do small claims court ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Tell them if they dont' pay then you will report it stolen and see if they do anything. And dont' lend out stuff to people like that.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The aunt owes the money. She borrowed it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• First I would be pissed off & going after him, & trying to get it back & then taking them to small claims court to make them pay me back for getting it out of hawk. Or you can report it as stolen & it will show up as pawned & he'll get into deep crap over it.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 10:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• What really sucks is it wasn't yours to lend and that creates a big problem. Grandma is the one that has to do the suing and she could really sue you for it cause she left it in your care and you did not have her permission to lend it to someone else. I think you need to come clean with grandma and work it out with her cause I don't think your gonna win trying to get anything from the uncle.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yeah I would call the police and report it stolen. Tell them you know it was pawned and who pawned it. They should be able to get it back from the pawn shop and you can press charges on the idiot who pawned it. Just went through the same mess with my BIL.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The aunt should pay it, but there are alot of useless people out there these days. You might as well suck it up, get another one and tell grandma what happened. Take it as a lesson learned.
    dawnmarie70535

Answer by dawnmarie70535 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Don't misunderstand my prior post BTW....I really think the aunt or uncle should pay but if you go to court it's going to be a mess.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010