Why would you leave and go home if your kid is throwing a tantrum?

Why not nip it in the bud and stop the tantrum and move on and finish whatever it is you were doing? I am sure they are happy to be home. I stopped mine then and carried on as usual. Going home would have made him happy. Is it opposite for some kids or something?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 10:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would not take my son home. We practice the same discipline techniques in public that we do at home. He can just as easily sit in time-out at the grocery store and if he will also risk losing privileges or being grounded when when do return home.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Sometimes just stopping the tantrum isn't that easy, and besides if you are somewhere the kid wants to be going home can be a punishment.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My kids love being out and about. So having to go home is a punishment. The threat of going home has many times got them to pull their act together in public. I have only had to leave the store twice in the 11 years I have been a mom.
    Not every kid is the same and what works for one may not work for another.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yep... mine LOVE the grocery store. Little weirdos!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• In your situation, if going home would make him happy, then I would take him out the car and wait out the tantrum there. That behavior is in not appropriate for a store or wherever you are so I would not let it continue there. I would then tell him/her that I had things to do, shop or whatever it was and then we would be going home and inform them again of what kind of behavior I expect.
    For other tantrums such as screaming because they want something, I would drop everything and just go home.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I go home or went home because it served a purpose he wanted to be there and when we left the tantrum stopped thats why.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Threatening to take my kids home always work. They love to go out, even to the grocery store.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 10:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I once witnessed a parent take his child from a birthday party and leave all because he dressed up in a dress during dress up in costumes. It was humilitating for the child! He gave him quote unquote time out at home, all I know is the mom was furious. She had to get a ride home with her other children.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• LOL My kids love the grocery store too. The threat of leaving for bad behavior was always enough for my two. But if it wasn't I wouldn't stay in the store while they were throwing a fit.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• LOL... its like you can read my thoughts! LOL My 3 yr old son is throwing fit after fit after fit lately! UGH!!! The other day it was in the car while driving... I kept saying to myself...ARE YOU KIDDING ME? He was just tired but he was screaming and kicking and ugh the whole nine yards... I couldnt get him to stop for at least an hour and Im so not even kidding you! I kept going about my busy day...a huge annoying fit isnt about to ruin my errand running... so I kept driving, usually I turn up the music so Im on ignore mode... doesnt always work but it seems to help sometimes! Ive threatened to leave him in the car (something I will never do) but I told him that they dont allow fits inside places and if he cant be a big boy then he will stay in the car! Usually that helps but not always... I have gotten out and stood by the car once for half an hour so that he could "finish" throwing his fit! Ugh... kids and fits!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 12:52 AM on Aug. 27, 2010