Breastfeeding Problems... HELP!!

My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and has been successfully breastfeeding that long. She will NOT take a bottle of any kind. I am going to try the First Years Breast Flow bottle, but I need some help deciding if I should switch to formula or not. I know that breast milk is the best source of nutrition for baby, but I'm just not keeping up with her. My health is not so good of late and that is a really big contributor to all this. I have tried Fenugreek, Mother's Milk Tea, Upping my fluids... a LOT, pumping, feeding more often, you name it. Nothing works. She is just crying all the time and is never full. I don't know what to do. She won't sleep unless she gets enough to eat, and that just isn't happening. Any advice is welcome, PLEASE!! I'm beyond desperate.

ACL2007

Asked by ACL2007 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK, I'm going to take this piece by piece. And I will ask you to stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group, which doesn't have the stupid character limitations of this forum. (Oh, CafeMom? THAT is what we needed here. No limits, not awards.)

ANYWAY!

>>My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and has been successfully breastfeeding that long.>>

CONGRATS!

>> She will NOT take a bottle of any kind. I am going to try the First Years Breast Flow bottle, <<

Who's giving the bottle? If it's YOU, no bottle will make a difference. It';s not the bottle, it's the hand that's holding it. Baby is smart; why take a substitute when the fresh stuff is in your breasts. If you want baby to take a bottle, hand baby to caregiver and exit, stage left.

Ifyou have tried that already. it will merely take persistence. NO baby will starve herself.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:13 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• >>but I need some help deciding if I should switch to formula or not. I know that breast milk is the best source of nutrition for baby, but I'm just not keeping up with her.<<

How are you gauging that? Are you changing about six dipes a day? If so, your supply is fine.

>> My health is not so good of late and that is a really big contributor to all this. I have tried Fenugreek, Mother's Milk Tea, Upping my fluids... a LOT, pumping, feeding more often, you name it. Nothing works. She is just crying all the time and is never full.<<

Baby's attitude has nothing to do with your supply. Tell me, is this recent? because she IS due for another growth spurt and your response is simply to nurse more.

Tell me about your breastfeeding management. Any timing? That can cause what you're seeing.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:16 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Sleep? Heh heh. Who told you babies sleep? Here's the sad news...formula doesn't make 'em sleep. They sleep when they're ready. If you get five hours that's sleeping through the night. But it's early to expect that. Look for that, oh, in another few months.

One other thing I need to know from you. Is the crying new behavior? Or has she been doing this all along? If it's new, roll with it because it's a growth sprut and will pass...you just need to nurse on demand as long and as often as she wants.

If it's ongoing...could be a reaction to something in your diet. Most typically dairy is the culprit.

There are a lot of avenues we can explore. Be aware that formula could open up NEW levels of misery due to tummy troubles... so let's see if we can't get breastfeeding straightened out instead.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:19 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Do you have a Lactation consultant? If you don't, I strongly suggest having one. Talk to an LC and get their help!

Good Luck, I hope you are able to continue.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• There IS a time and place for supplementing but often times moms think they need to supplement due to lack of knowledge/information or bad info handed down. Often breastfeeding moms who offer help are trying to help try out every avenue before turning to formula. They are then treated as if they refuse to acknowledge that formula is sometimes needed. That isn't fair. More often than not formula isn't NEEDED but is an option that works out for what the mom wants to do or works out "easier" with her schedule etc. That is not a "need". Like I said there are a select few times formula is actually NEEDED. But if a mom just wants to choose to supplement or full out FF then fine. But if they actually want to try to BF then those who do it will help passionately. :) I agree w/ gdiamante. Head to the breastfeeding moms group.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:02 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Her nursing is a big help in upping supply. My first question is, i there a reason you want to introduce bottles?
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Sounds like supplementing with formula is going to be a good decision for you. I tried breastflow bottles and my dd didn't take them, but she is like yours and flat our refuses bottles, period. She will take a Tommee Tippee bottle ok, though so that is something you could try, and they come in singles unlike the breastflows. I recommend offering the bottle when you know she is hungry and just stick with it for 15-30 minutes and see how it goes. Start with one feeding per day and increase until she takes it readily. You could go cold turkey but it might not work out very well. Also if you have someone else that can give her the bottle without you around it might work really well to get her used to it. Good luck, and congrats for making it this far :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The best person to talk to would be a lactation consultant. Breastfeeding.com is a great source of info. I breastfed both of my children, and at that age they both were also eating baby food, which helped. My son, however, was a pig and took the bottle with formula. My daughter would NEVER take a bottle, so when I went back to work, she got a sippy cup with pumped breast milk in it. It took her a while to get used to it, and dad suffered for it, but she finally gave in. Another thing to try is having someone else try to give her a bottle. You must not be present for this, as she associates mommy with eating. The best advice that I have, and I'm sorry that it's not much, is STAY POSITIVE AND DON'T GIVE UP. Even more importantly, take just as good care of yourself as you take of the baby. We always forget ourselves, but when you're the milk machine, you need to be pampered too. I know that it's easier said than done,
    Melissa G.

Answer by Melissa G. at 10:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Do what you need to do mommy. I supplemented with formula for both of my kids...one bottle a day. I wanted to know that they would take a bottle should something happen to me and for increased flexibility. The only bottle both of my kids would take was the Playtex Natural Latch Nipple for the Drop In System...but not the clear ones, only the brown ones (don't ask me why). Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• have you tried oatmeal?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2010