Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What can I legally do ?

My husband of 5 years and father of our 2 children left a year ago... no contact at all .....

He started acting like another person, very mad all of the time, he became very mentally cruel to me and basically started acting like our 1 year old and 3 year old didnt exsist.......
I had alot of money saved from before we got married... he basically said for * a large amount* he would sign his rights over to the kids and we will never have to hear from him again.... I came home one day and he was just gone... he did take almost $5,000 out of the bank account, but that is no where near the amount he said he wants.. he also didnt sign over his rights or anything like that - just left with a note saying he was out of our lives.

But I now hear ( around our small town) that he has been contacting old friends and his family to get info about me and the kids & now I am worried he will try to see them....

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Answers (13)
  • Take him to court. Divorce him and get full custody.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • Document everything and if you have the money I would hire a good lawyer. I would go and get full custody of the kids and have it in writing,otherwise if he comes back you may have to share custody.

    Answer by skittles1108 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • Take him to court and document EVERYTHING! Good Luck.

    Answer by Courtney610 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • I agree court and full custody.

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • go to court and get him for abandonment which is usually 6months or more of NO contact with you or the kids. then file for divorce and custody. good luck! and have all of the info documented for sure.

    Answer by misunderstood1 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • i agree with the others.. take him to court tell the judge everything...

    Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • @ misunderstood.. can you really do that? i've been divorced since february.. but the ex hasn't seen or called me since last year..

    Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • I believe all he is thinking about is money. If he wants money and not see you or your children anymore, that's bribery and illegal. Do it the right way. Take him to court, get a divorce and get child support. You shouldn't have to support him, let him support himself.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 11:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • The amount of time for abandonment goes by state and some states still won't allow you to have rights terminated until there is someone there to take the father's place. As for the OQ, I would go to court and get full custody before he comes around again.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 9:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • That is called abandonment and if you have any significant proof, take it to court and get full custody. You shouldn't have to buy your own children. Tell him if he agrees you will not go after back child support, which you could in most states. Should he insist on getting  your money tell him you will sue for child support plus medical care......that should scare him into doing about anything you want, but please don't take him back. What he did was unconscionable.


    Answer by zbee at 1:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.