Confused about Herpes.

I just learned today that my younger sister found out she has genitial herpes. She is moving in with us in a couple weeks so I want to know as much as possible. I know herpes is an STD but can you also transfer it by kissing (like if she gave my daughter a peck on the lips) or by drinking out of the same cup or sharing a cigarrette with somone? Using the same towel after a shower? I've read about it on WebMD but they dont mention any of this. They might be stupid questions, so I apologize if you think so. Any advice is appreciated. Im concerned for my sister. She feels her life is over.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Health

• You can I didn't know that she must have oral herpes.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• http://www.herpes.com/Transmission.shtml
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• just sexually i think
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• well there are different kinds is it genital or oral....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I just goggled it and you can get herpes on your eye and finger.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• when your sister got her diagnosis, what did they tell HER?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:24 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Since you said that she has genital herpes thats the only thing I'll answer for. Genital herpes cannot be spread by kissing, drinking out of the same cup or sharing cigarettes.

While the chance of getting herpes from a toilet seat is unheard of, I would reccomend that she use her own bath towel and that it be removed from the bathroom after each use as skin cells containing the virus are more likely to exist on a wet towel than on a toilet seat.

Yes she could transmit the virus from unclean hands as well. So, she should make sure she always washes her hands well with soap and water.

Now, if she has the virus in any other location on her body the answer varies.
    shewolf13

Answer by shewolf13 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2010