My son is 19 months old and he still doesnt really talk. I read to him, count, do the abc's and he babbles, but doesnt talk. Doctor says its okay, but I feel like its not...is he way behind?

sheenathefat

Asked by sheenathefat at 10:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My almost 3 year old talks but really cant understand her. I can't tell you if he's behind or not but you can always give "Early Intervention" a call. Just google it in your area and they will come to your home and do an evaluation for his age. It's free and no cost to you. My daughter is enrolled right now for speech therapy.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Kids language develops at different speeds I think if he still isn't talking by 2 then I would be worried but a lot can happen in 5 months os for now I would just enjoy him and keep checking with your pedi!
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Thank you!
    sheenathefat

Comment by sheenathefat (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Does he not say any words at all? They're supposed to be saying 8 words other than mommy and daddy at 18 months, but probably not putting words together. My 18 month old babbles a lot but still says the single words like 'dog' and 'cup'. If he's not saying any, I don't know if you should be worried or not. I'm a little paranoid about stuff like that because my 3 year old is still way behind on speaking.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• my 3 and a half year old twins are just really starting to talk now, the doctor has never been worried.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• my son didn't talk exsept for mama and dada until he was two. even then you couldn't understand almost all of that he said. it is only now around 2 1/2 that you can understand what he says.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 10:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• He says hi and bye. Thats really it...but the doctor said she isnt worried because if he want a drink or food or a certain toy, he will point to it and babble. I just feel like he should be talking.
    sheenathefat

Comment by sheenathefat (original poster) at 10:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Sit with him in front of a mirror and chat. A lot of times it is easier for them to form the words when they can see how their mouth looks in the mirror. Play games, sing songs.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Dont rush it, or over worry yourself over it. My son is 2 1/2 and says pretty much everything, and says it rather clearly. But at 18 months was only saying a few choice words. He started to talk soo much after he turned two. Every kid learns at their own pace, I wouldnt worry myself over it too much :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• like one of the other said speech develops at different ages. my oldest could talk and would say a few words but for the most part just didnt want to and would rather babble or whine. i personally wasnt concerned and knew that when she finally got fustrated with me not knowing what she wanted she would talk. it took til she was almost 3 before she really talked and you could understand her. she is now 4 and for the most part i can understand her but sometimes i cant and that is due to the fact that she is tongue tied and talks through her nose and she will be going into speech therapy.
    me myself really didnt start talking until i was 3. and now my 22 month old says some words like mommy daddy and so one and loves the word no every answer is no and yee haw but im still not concerned because she knows how to communicate what she wants and it will develope when she wants to talk.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010