What do you ladies know about Celexa, the anti-depressant?

I have been a little extreme towards my boyfriend. I know I am overacting about things, but it's like an out of body experience. I can't really control it. So, I told my doctor this and he prescribed me an anti-depressant- Celexa, which I am taking the generic brand for. Now I'm wondering if my doctor is being extreme? I have lately found my sudden downwards moods have been making me feel depressed. The diagnosis might be fitting, but I have never taken this type of drug and don't know much about it.

xcrookedhalo11

Asked by xcrookedhalo11 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Health

• no but i would love to know more about it cuz i need to change my meds and i was looking at that
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My best friend takes the same thing. She had the same problems and all i know is it worked great for her. I think the only down side is that is made her not hungry at all.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My hubby was on celexa for a long time and his down moods were getting really bad. He would be nearly silent for days, normally I can't get him to shut up. He had to change meds. He is on prozac now and is his normal, happy self way more often.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I took it and turned into a babbling moron.. and barely remembered what I had said or what I was doing (Made for lots of fun at work...and driving)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 11:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Should add that my mum took it and had no issues... the effects seem to be different for everyone.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 11:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Hmm.. I've looked up info on a previous med that the doc prescribed me to and i was too scared to take it. Some CafeMoms told me that they actually felt that they had different feelings for their children! Like they were not as close with them. So I never took the med. I asked my doc for a different one and he decided on Celexa. It's so strange how these meds have completely different side effects. I'm studying Marriage and Family Therapy right now and would prefer the solution approach, rather than prescriptions, but I am desperate to keep our relationship together for our kids... So Celexa it is!
    xcrookedhalo11

Comment by xcrookedhalo11 (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Well I took it for about two years. It made me a sex maniac. My husband would hide from me. It made him nervous. I wanted to jump his bones 24-7. I remember after some time though it made me not care about anything.
    I am on Lexipro right now and feel pretty happy on it. The only side effect for me is I am pretty lazy. I need to find a way to over come that though. Honestly it has helped me. Instead of being really down I now only get "slightly annoyed" and then I get over stuff.
    Good luck there are many options out there. What ever you use I hope it helps you.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• if you are on a downhill climb then you may want to change meds... my husband did well on this but started getting depressed and angry when they switched him to wellbutrin (for really no reason). when he first called they just told him it takes a while to adjust, etc., but it got way worse very quickly. you know yourself best. how long have you been on it? people respond differently. you may or may not have an idea as to your chemical sensitivity (the more you are the quicker you'll respond) to know if this is a progression of the original depression or a new thing caused by the medicine.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Figaro, I have no idea what my chemical sensitivity is, but I am very small. I weigh 98 pounds. When I drink alcohol at all, I get the worst hangovers the next day for a full 24 hours, so I'm guessing because of my metabolism, weight, or both, I am very sensitive to things. Also, I was unable to take birth control pills because of how sick they make me. It has been about 2 weeks since I've started taking Celexa. I hadn't initially umm, been able to "finish" during sex. But we somehow overcame that. No pun intended...sorry. lol And other than that I felt immediate positive reactions. Like mmmegan stated, I felt annoyed to certain things my boyfriend would do rather than full blown angry like I usually was, then I got over it. It has honestly helped our relationship completely. We just started counseling too so hopefully that'll help even more.
    xcrookedhalo11

Comment by xcrookedhalo11 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010