How young is too young to diagnose ADHD?

Everyone says my hyper active 2 year old is "normal" and that it's "a boy thing" but it can't be. I've met several 2 year old boys and none of them are any where near as active as my son. I can list the things that make me feel this way but it doesn't do any good, and noone can ever give me any real advice. Even the doctor says "it's normal just be patient" but nobody sees what I mean. He goes to day care while we work but I can't even get a babysitter if we ever want time to ourselves because he needs so much supervision it scares me to have anyone else watch him. I'm in tears every night because NOTHING my husband or I do will calm him down or keep him in control and it's really becoming too much to bear. I feel horrible for saying that about my own son but I don't know what to do. Is he still too young to show signs of ADHD? I don't want to diagnose him myself but until I find out how to help him I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think two is too young. Children have alot of engry to spend..... Its natural, theres too many cases where kids are being put on ADHD meds & dont need it. Its just an excuse for parents to med them instead of dealing with them. (NOT SAYING THAT YOU ARE.) If someone was to tell me my son was ADHD at a young age, Id laugh in their face... Almost half of my friends have at least one child on meds because of ADHD, & to me they're not. ADHD is more then just being active... its about not focusing & stuff like that. TOo many doctors are more then willing to med kids these days.

Relax, wait a few years & if he doesn't calm down then worry.. each child is different.....
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 11:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think its too young when the child is in first grade. You know some people need meds but this makes your child a petrie dish for medicines they may or may not need.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• 2 is too young. Watch out, because our country is beyond ADHD happy.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Anything under the age of 6 is really too young, and that's even pushing it.
    Our country over diagnoses ADHD and ADD, so it's really important to wait until they're older to diagnos it. Properly.
    As well, EVERY child is different in how active they are. Being physically active does not determine ADHD. Mental Hyperactivity is what they're talking about when they refer to ADHD. My sister has it and boy let me tell you she could be a pill at times. Some children do show physical hyperactivity, but not in the manner of needing 20 minutes of running around in circles to calm them down. They mean restlessness, constantly movement as in tapping their fingers, etc.

You may have trouble with your active child as many parents do, but that alone (even that and other symptoms) doesn't determin ADHD.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Honestly, sounds like to me you're just looking for a quick out to save yourself a lot of headaches. Which is wrong. Very wrong.
    JazzlikeMraz

• Wow Jazz. Way to be a judgemental bitch. I asked for help and am obviously stressing. I never said I planned to load my child up with meds "just to save myself a lot of headaches". I said I want to help him. Read.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I can tell you my ds (9 now) was so active he couldn't even stop to watch a movie. He wouldn't read a book and he could not stand to be held and read to. I also was dismissed, being told "he's just a boy" or "you wouldn't want him to sit still" and my reply was that I would want him to sit still if he wanted to, and he can't!! l. Demand to see a developmental pediatrician. They will be able to help you.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I could have written this myself! My son will be 3 Tuesday and since he was an infant he has been extremely active. More so than any other babies we're around. He has recently been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder. Once we started reading about it, it all started making sense. We are able to deal with him much more effectively now. We always knew there was something different about him. ADHD is wildly over diagnosed, many of these kids actually have sensory issues, not ADHD. If you are concerned, have him evaluated by a professional- either a developmental ped or behavioral therapists.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:53 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My ds has both severe ADHD and a sensory disorder. Your first step is getting to a doctor that realizes the behavior is beyond normal. I also have a 3 year old ds and yes, he is quite active. But he is able to focus, he sits for brief times to watch tv, read or play and to eat his meals. Something his brother has never done. Not to mention my eldests sleep issues. So many people are so quick to dismiss this, but ADHD does exist and I knew before the age of 4, when my ds was diagnosed. I wish you luck, you see what you will face.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yup, sounds like you should try to find a good specialist to help figure out what is going on. If your doctor is just dismissing your observations, find another doctor who will actually listen to you and work with you. The same goes with the "specialists" - if they are not helping, find someone who can help. Not all professionals are the same. And regardless of whether your son has ADHD or some other diagnosable disorder, definitely push to receive some kind of behavioral/therapy (for both the parents and the child). Whatever the specialists end up calling it, it's clear that you all could use some help dealing with his behavior (we all can at some point, don't worry). Good luck!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2010