so confused! who'd guess im a second time mom....help!

I am hearing twenty billion different things. Every mommy is doing something different. And what I did with my first is so different then what the doctors say. HELP. MY daughter is about to be 6 months. I'm confused on everything from tylenol when to's, to what and when to feed her. She's exlusively breast fed, I started her on my own will, on rice last month she did wonderful. She situps and crawls already, and I just gave her carrots today. But my friends are giving their babies crackers to her same age baby, and the other baby is 7 months and getting spaghetti.....the doctor told me to give my baby white grape juice instead of tylenol to help leep her hydrated when not feeling good!???!! i was always told not to give babies juice until after a year old...no need for it unless constipated! HELP HELP HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Juice is useless (unless constipated like you said). You breastfeed - THAT is what baby needs for hydration when sick. I don't medicate unless absolutely necessary so tylenol is rarely used in our house. There was a recent study that showed a link between tylenol use in babies/toddlers and asthma in childhood. Just follow your gut and your baby's cues as to what to feed her. I didn't start my DD on ANY foods until 7 1/2 months and she hated purees so she went straight to finger foods. I actually loved skipping purees. :)
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 11:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Oh I gave both of my babies juice way before a year old....

I don't remember that rule... Haha! And mine are only 9 months and 2.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• honestly you are never going to get consistent answers. as far as hydration goes, tylenol does nothing to keep a baby hydrated, they get enough from the breast milk that you are giving. you can introduce juice IF YOU WANT. it is not something you have to do or shouldnt do. If you do decide to give juice just make sure its diluted. honestly every parent is different with when and what they feed their kids, and when you think about it, a year from now is it really going to matter? half the time parents cant remember when they began feeding their kids those things just because it honestly all blends together and it really isnt a big deal. of course you can introduce whatever foods you want, and if you dont want to dont worry about it. I would say try not to compare. And doctors also dont know everything IMO about when and what to feed kids, their opinions differ just as much as parents do!! =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Juice is more for constipation before 1yr, not sure about dehydration because we haven't run into that issue.. Tylenol for fever over 100. Food pretty much goes by what your LO is ready for, but at 6 months definitely should be ok with any stage 1 fruits and veggies. Meats are ok, too.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• wow ! ik , now a days is really hard to take parenting skills from anybody lol ................. doctors can tell u something different from otehr moms , magazines and such lol ................. i'd say , trust ur mommy instinct ! every child is different and their needs are different as well ................ and i wouldnt change a tylenol for grape juice , never heard wut u doctor told u before from any mommy lol ......................
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 11:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Okay, first of all I know how you feel! My son did everything different than my little girl is doing and she is almost 6 months now too. Second, buy this book, it will save you so much grief, Baby 411. It's a life-saver, and a stress saver too. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Remember that breast milk is still baby's main source of nutrition. Solid foods are only to pad the diet. I didn't give my son crackers or anything like that until he had teeth. That was around 7 months. I started with biter biscuits. They're hard and are great teethers, but they're messy, so keep that in mind. No juice until after 1 is right, though I have seen moms dilute juice with water. I didn't do that, nor would I. I don't see how grape juice is a replacement for tylenol. Tylenol when baby is in obvious pain or when baby has a fever. It should be based on weight. It's not on the bottle. Breast milk is best to keep baby hydrated
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i agree with happy every child is different and you need to trust your instinct. i personally never heard of tylenol for hydrating. it is a pain and fever reducer and does nothing for hydration. if you are bf then she should be getting plenty of fluids. if she is not feeding well then i would offer water before juice or a watered down juice. personally i started cereal and solids when she ate more than she spit out which was at about 4 or 5 months and by 8 months she was eating everything. every parent is different as with every docs opinions. just go with the flow and trust your instincts and watch the little ones cues.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My best advice is to find a pediatrician who you trust and trust them with their decisions. There are so many different views out there that if you and your pediatrician are in agreement, you'll probably be just fine.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010