Do you work outside the home?

What do you do with your younger teens while your working? I've been a sahm for years except for the occasional job to make ends meet. But, now that the kids are too old for daycare, I can't see leaving them for 8+ hours without them getting into some sort of trouble.

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Mine has been since age 10, but, he calls often and I talk to him through chat on the computer. He is trustworthy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have worked full time since my kids were in Middle School. They are home a lot, they check in with me or there dad quite frequently during the day. If they go outside they let me know. I also live in a small neighborhood where everyone knows everyone. In the summer I try to find them a camp or something for at least a week. That way they get to do something fun.
    chex9495

Answer by chex9495 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My boys have been home along since they turned 10 as well. I check in on them both by texting or calling during the day. I do ask their plans for the day ahead of time now that their in school I know what the plan is...but in the summer I had to know who was coming over, who they were going to hang out with outside the home and where they were going...etc. They know who is acceptable to be in my home when I'm not there and who I feel comfortable with them spending the day with.
    It does depend on the child and the level of maturity and trust you have in them. I live in a very small town 1800 people and everyone knows my boys...its nice because everyone watches out for everyone's kids. So I really don't have much to worry about.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I worked full time until my daughter was about twelve. My spouse and I both have our own businesses, and one of us is home when our teen is home.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2010