does breast milk have lactose in it?

I thought lactose was added to our milk. I was watching 19 kids and counting and they said their new baby jossie was lactose intolerant so she couldn't have breast milk any more. so does it have lactose in it?

motherwanting6

Asked by motherwanting6 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you consume lactose, it's in your breast milk.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• if the mom drinks milk.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I asked about this as well and Michelle could have changed her diet in order to continue breastfeeding...at least that is the conclusion I came to.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yes. A baby that can't have lactose would be very ill from birth and can't have breastmilk or cow's milk formula. It would be one of the genetic tests that would come back positive when the baby has the PKU done. Very rare. It's not lactose intollerance when newborns can't metabolize lactose, it's a genetic disease. Lactose intollerance is common in people over 3 yo.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes. My son is lactose intolerant, and so I eliminated it from my diet, and all of his tummy issues went away. If the baby is actually allergic to lactose, the levels may still be too high to let the baby breastfeed. In that case, then the baby needs a formula that doesn't contain lactose.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:54 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• yes there is lactose in breastmilk and lactose isn't added to cows milk, it's removed from it to make lactaid milk
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• There is lactose in breast milk but there is also lactase, the enzyme needed to digest it. Lactose is milk sugar. As Gail said, galactosemia is tested for at birth and you would know. Babies are NOT lactose intolerant.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• if the mom eats any dairy products at all then breast milk has lactose in it. The hardest part , if your breast feeding and your baby has lactose issues you quit all milk products but it can take 2-4 week for all of it to get out of your system.

lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes. A baby that can't have lactose would be very ill from birth and can't have breastmilk or cow's milk formula. It would be one of the genetic tests that would come back positive when the baby has the PKU done. Very rare. It's not lactose intolerance when newborns can't metabolize lactose, it's a genetic disease. Lactose intolerance is common in people over 3 yo.

very interesting my dd will be 3 yrs in nov and has always been on lactose free formula/milk since 4 weeks old. never heard of it being a genetic disease. why cant a child under 3 yrs be lactose intolerant? she was very sick for the first 2 months of life

kcook55

Answer by kcook55 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• What you eat is in your milk. If Michelle stops eating/drinking lactose Josie can have breast milk.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 8:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010