parents of an only child are unfair ?

i was wondering do u think that parents of an only child are being selfish for not having a sibling for their child ?

i mean , lets forget about the economy situation , cuz for all of us , is hard , but i was just wondering wut all the other mommies thought about this .

i mean , i do not consider them as being selfish or anything i was just curious !

in my case i'd like to have 3 children so they can have that sibling bond that is so wonderful , also a big family , for them to have their sibling s to rely on , u guys know the type of relationships siblings have : )

ex : i had a neighbor who had a 5 year old daughter at that moment and her dd would always ask her parents for a baby brother/sister so she could play w them and etc but her mom would tell us "no , Laura is enough , i do not want to deal with having to raise another child ! " i was always over their house lol , and Laura was a good girl , respectful , w

happymom1988

Asked by happymom1988 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• with everyone , in other words , well raised ! but i guess her mom didnt have the patience needed to deal with more children , and all the responsibilities that come with having 2 ! ; ) ....

whats ur intake in this situation ?

happymom1988

Comment by happymom1988 (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I had planned more so they could play together and all they do is fight!! I grew up raised as my MOms only child and I'm ok with it! Do what works for you! I'm sure my kiddos will be close when they grow up though! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• awwwww ! lol , i think that as we all grow , we mature and have different kinds of fights lol but it must be hard for the ones that dont have an uncle , aunt ! specially around the special holidays , but uk , both things have their advantages :) ........... your children wont fight as much as soon as they get older , they'll be too busy to notice litle things that make them angry now lol : )
    happymom1988

Comment by happymom1988 (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• as a single mom of a 6yr old girl, i do find its unfair on the child..i would LOVE to be able to give my daughter a lil brother or sister..i have always sorta felt bad for only children, noone to play with, they dont get the experiance or having siblings, etc..but in this day and age its sooo expensive to raise a child. dont get me wrong, i do hope to have more one day..but first i have to meet a GOOD guy!! lol but i definetly think people should have at least 2 kids!! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Not everyone is able to have more children. Some can't get pregnant at all, and some can't get pregnant again or carry to term after having their first child.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:09 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i agree w u alexis , cuz now-a-days everything is priced off the roof !

id love to be able to have another child soon but even thought im married and count w my husband , it still is expensive n hard , i can only picture wut a single mom can do ............ = / ........... hopefully u will find the right guy who can support u emotionally and economically too cuz both helps r a must in a relationship ! ........... and yes , it really is unfair on the child , that for some circumstances cannot have a sibling , at least not really close in age when they can still have some similar phases to go tru and be able to identify with e/o !
    happymom1988

Comment by happymom1988 (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• lamg that is soo true and sad : / , and to think that some that are more fortunate take the wrong path ! = / when theyre are soo many couples who would die to give that child love and a real family = /
    happymom1988

Comment by happymom1988 (original poster) at 12:12 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My son is an only child. We are undecided if my husband and I will have another child. I don't think its unfair...sometimes we just have to look at the positive. More attention for them. I'm not sure if I want another child because I grew up with 8 siblings...its gets lonely, even with all those around me.
    sheenathefat

Answer by sheenathefat at 1:33 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't plan on having more than one, and I don't think it's unfair at all. Everyone grows up in different situations and they adjust to what they are familiar with. There is no way to know what is "best"...my husband had older sisters and they terrorized him his entire childhood. They also had so many problems that they took all the parent's energy, so my hubby was pretty much left to raise himself since he was a good kid who didn't get into trouble. I am guessing he would have much rather been an only child than deal with their crap. And I had a little brother who was so much younger than me that we never played together anyway. I don't think that is any better or worse than being an only child, or having lots of siblings. It simply IS.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:13 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I only have one son. I have days that i would like to have another one so that he would have that sibling bond. I grew up with 3 older siblings and with our age differences i was an only child by the time i was 10 due to all of my siblings being out of the house. I don't think we are being unfair to our son. He gets more advantages to do certain things that he might not get if we had more children, due to the economy and so forth.
    sonsmom

Answer by sonsmom at 6:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2010