How to I handle my sons hitting?

My 20 month old, little guy has taken to hitten when frustrated. I don't know what to do. We have a naughty chair but what about when we are out of the house. And the naughty chair doesn't seem to be working. Its driving me crazy and I don't want to be one of those people who every hates to be around their child.

EyeofOdin

Asked by EyeofOdin at 11:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can always pick a spot and do a time-out anywhere. You have to be consistent with your discipline though so that he knows you will not tolerate the behavior. Good luck!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I had that problem my daughter is now 2 but since she was about 15 months she always hits other kids she still does. My husband has neices and nephews and shes always pushing them and hitting them i try to punish her but it dosent work i feel like they dont want to come around anymore its really upsetting but her dr said i should get her into a daycare and around other kids more and it should stop good luck
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Punishment usually makes kids more frustrated rather than less frustrated. Stop all hitting, stop using punishment, decrease stress, prevent problems, learn positive discipline, these are the kinds of things that should help.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• What are examples of positive discipline?
    EyeofOdin

Comment by EyeofOdin (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes I would like to know that one as well!
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You're not alone. I have the same problem with my DD who is 24 months old. We have a time out too, but it doesn't seem to work. We have started doing the firm "NO" and pointing a finger at her. That usually makes her stop and give us the pout face. All I know is that it's a contradiction to spank them for hitting you or anyone else.. so that's not the answer.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2010