Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I have been givin medication.... adult content

from the hospital to deal with postpartum depression.... I am debating on weather I should start them or not. They said it could take three weeks to kick in. Also it could increase my depression or make me have thought of killing myself. I am trying to out weigh the facts here and need help. What would you do?

 
agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Health

Level 18 (4,874 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • I will tell you that for me, mediciation was one of the things that really helped me. I also listened to the side effects and allowed them to play on my anxiety. I worried that my depression would get worse. However, it has helped me so much and I haven't had any of those side effects.
    I think it is important to stay aware that things may get worse and if you feel like that they are, then seek help immediately. However, I think that they will help.
    Best of luck.
    hsmominky

    Answer by hsmominky at 12:02 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • If you have been diagnosed with ppd and you aren't going to take the meds then you should have some other intervention - hospitalization, talk therapy, help at home with the house or baby or both, or something. If you can't make other major changes then medication is your best option.

    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 12:08 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Were you diagnosed with PPD?
    Erin814

    Answer by Erin814 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • Hmm I say stay aware of what it feels like and if your going to use it use with caution. Talk to a friend who is the voice of reason or a medical personal.
    mmmegan38

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • How long ago did you have your baby?
    conweis

    Answer by conweis at 12:00 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • aww i'm sorry your going through that. if they could make things worse and take that long to kick in, i wouldn't take them. im sure that regardless of your mental/emotional state, you could deal much better without those pills affecting your brain like that if you do go to a bad place.
    coralbeth

    Answer by coralbeth at 12:02 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • I have always taken it, at the same time each day. Never had a bad reaction.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • If you have the possible side effects and feel more depressed or suicidal, immidiately call your doctor and they will help you work thru it as you get it out of your system. Look at it this way... you probably have less than a 10% chance of haivng the side effects, but a 90% change that you will continue to experience PPD if you don't take an antidepressant. There is a chemical imbalance occuring in your brain. Its a real thing. ((BIG HUGS))
    karamille

    Answer by karamille at 12:08 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Do you have a history of depression? have you been on this med before? What is the med and what is the starting dosage? They say it can take up to 3 wks to fell all the effects fully but relief can begin after a few days dpending on which med it is. I work in a psych facility though not a doc, but I do have a fairly large working knowledge of meds b/c of my residents. All the questions are factors in how your body will react to the meds. As long as you are aware of the possible side effects and if they show up call doc asap. There are plenty of options. The bonus is that pd doesn't last forever and you can get off the meds and be your normal self once your body and hormones have adjusted to all the stress that you have recently gone through.
    EyeofOdin

    Answer by EyeofOdin at 12:01 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • I would take it if you have the diagnosis. The reason it says that it increases the chance of suicide is because people start feeling better when they take it. Severely depressed people often don't have the energy or motivation to kill themselves, but some actually do it when they begin taking medication and getting some of their energy back.
    Iamgr8teful

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

Next question in Health
Can you help this guy out?

Next question overall (About CafeMom)
What dose bumps mean??

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN