AM I ALONE

DOES IT MAKE ME A BAD PARENT, LATELY MY SON HAS BECOME A VERY PICKY EATER, AND HE WILL ONLY EAT EGGS IN THE MORNING AND MAYBE SOME SOUP AT LUCNH, I TRY TO GIVE HIM ANYTHING LIKE SNAKS AND JUNK FOOD ALL THROUGH THE DAY, IM THINKING AT LEAST HE HAS SOMETHING IN HIS TUMMY DOES IT MAKE ME A BAD PARENT THAT I FEED HIM HAM , COOKIES BANANNAS, STRING CHEESE,CRAKERS , LOTS OF JUICE,ALL IN A DAYS WORTH?? ;(

eternaldeamer

Asked by eternaldeamer at 9:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I do the same thing sometimes. My son is 2 and he is a very picky eater.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 9:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• :) sounds like he eats what my toddlers eat :) I don't think you are a bad parent.

sounds like you are covering the food groups.

typical day in our house- dry cereal and a cup of milk for breakfast, snacks of pretzels or animal crackers, string cheese, canned fruit or a fresh banana depending on what I have, bologna and cheese sandwich with mayo and mustard for lunch, PB&J for afternoon snack, dinner is normally a meat, a veggie, and a starch or a casserole, pasta pick ups by gerber or mac&cheese in the microwave cup for before bed snack. throw in a few reese's cups or other chocolate since I want it and the kids won't leave me alone if I don't share :)

my 15 month old does not like meat unless it's processed like bologna or cooked in a casserole or in spaghetti sauce.
    Anonymous

• Geez, there's nothing all that wrong with those foods! When you said junk food, I was thinking candy, chips and dip, and other kinds of crap. Nah, you're not a bad Mom, you're a work in progress, just like the rest of us - you can't let the present get you down, just think how far you've come!
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 9:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• That stuff isn't really junk food. Ham and juice and banana cookies aren't bad for him. My youngest daughter doesn't eat much either. I can tell you one thing Dinner is dinner and if you don't it that is it. If they are hungry they will eat but if they know you are going to give them what they want then they will do what they want. My kids all eat very well and a lot of different things. But when it is time to eat i do not cater to them. I do not make them eat things i know they hate. It when they are just choosing to be stubborn that I get stubborn back. I am also a very old school mom.

jessym_17508

Answer by jessym_17508 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I don't think you should look at it as 'at least he has food in his tummy' If he is hungry...he will eat. Don't give him junk for the sake of it. I would have meal times and snack times, and eat only at those times. Bananas are healthy. String cheese and crackers is a wonderful snack. And cookies are a great dessert for after dinner. None of this sounds bad, just maybe go about it differently (oh and no, you are not a bad mom)
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 9:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Toddlers go through stages and they are also learning to assert themselves. I would give him a balanced b-fast, lunch, and dinner then give two snacks a day and let him eat what he does at those times and not worry that he might starve he will eat when he is hungry. Also I would make sure that he had a mealtime routine,say in a boosterseat at the table at every meal/snack instead of running around the house (this worked with my daughter). Be patient it will come.
    EmmieandMom

Answer by EmmieandMom at 9:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Sounds NORMAL to me My sister went through a stage where she would only eat things that where white!! LOL I would just give him things and if he eats it GREAT if not try something else!! Try to stick to good snacks. If you don't have time to prepair a healthy snack then stick to the Gerber Foods. My son LOVES their snacks PLUS it's really great for ON THE GO KIDS!!! Good Luck
    Leauna
    Leauna

Answer by Leauna at 9:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have had the same problem with my kids! Their doctor told me as long as their finger nails and toe nails where growing they were healthy and getting what they needed. But ask their doctor!
    kgcmomma

Answer by kgcmomma at 10:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I think you're ok. I'd throw in a Flintstones vitamin and call it a day!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:29 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I have a 2 y/o DD that is a wierd eater her typical day goes like this: If I cooked chicken for dinner the night before I have to save her a few pieces for breakfast. a banana or two between breakfast and lunch, If there is still chicken she wants chicken for lunch. Noodles of any kind. dry cereal, cheese and sometimes toast for an afternoon snack and she eats whatever I cook for dinner. If its something she really likes such as chicken she eats alot. If it's something she doesn't care for that much she will pick through it and eat what she wants of it.
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 4:39 AM on Oct. 10, 2008