my daugther not listening

my daugther is 15 months and she has been hitting and bitting and i have put her in time out for 30secs to a 1 min, but its not working and she even laughs at me. iv also would sit there with her and tell her that hurts when you do that to people but like i said nothing is working. does anyone eles know anything?????

thanks, heather

mama705

Asked by mama705 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she biting you or another child? If she bit another kid, I would tell her "No, no, that hurt him" and have her say "sorry" give kisses & hugs" maybe even go play elsewhere away from the kids for a while if possible. If she is biting you, you can act like it really hurt, (cry, whatever) and smack her on the lips lightly saying "NO biting! that HURT mommy"
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:09 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• When my kids bit each other I made the one that got bit bite the one back that bit them. It was always a cry but it worked alot better than trying to explain to a small kid that it hurts.. Kids have such a short attention span unless you show them they just do the same thing again. Or it is like see monkey do monkey. If one did something you might as well betthe other one would do to..
    mistym31

Answer by mistym31 at 12:12 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would laugh at you too. Time-outs are stupid. To think a time-out would teach a baby to "listen" is pretty laughable. I think you mean obey not listen.

Punishments including time-outs rarely stop bad behavior and never teach good behavior. You need to learn more about child development and how to take care of toddlers. Doing things like planning ahead, childproofing, avoiding frustration, giving toddlers small choices, ect. can help you have a happy, well-behaved toddler you can take anywhere.

Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary is a good first toddler discipline book. She has a web site called Star Parenting.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:16 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• well see iv done the the "No, no thing and it still does not work and and she just pushes my buttons over and over like today i told her no and she said NO mama and was yelling at me when she said it... i really dont know anymore
    mama705

Comment by mama705 (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Forcing children to bite each other is horrible. Mothers should never bite children either. It wouldn't work even if it wasn't cruel. A 15 mo isn't capable of empathy. In order for these stategies to work the child would have to have empathy. Many adults don't even have empathy (I wonder if mothers that force their kids to bite each other have any empathy?). Anyway, having the biter get bit to teach the biter not to bite won't work because the biter has no empathy. That's why it's important to understand child development.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Often, kids that age do what they do because of the reaction they receive. They are learning cause and effect. The repeating what you say is her way of learning too. I don't think she was trying to push your buttons, even if that is what happened. And if I had to guess, I'd say she laughs because she got you a bit worked up and that's part of the game. If she hits, put both her hands at her sides, give her a firm "no you don't hit" or something like that and then remove her from the situation. Stick her in her room if it's handy. It doesn't matter if she comes right back out. She will begin to associate one behavior with the other. Just be consistent with it. The point is to not give her what she is looking for (your reaction) but instead, give her something she didn't want... hands held for a few seconds and taken somewhere else.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i know how exactly how you feel cause my daughter does the exact same thing is and she likes to pull my hair i heard its a phase they all go through what i been doing is telling her no with a serious tone and look, cause if you look like your going to smile cause she so cute she will laugh at you. but when i tell my daughter no she gets mad and throws a hissy fit she we just let her throw it and a min later she back to normal again cause she hates the word no but thats what works with us all kids are different and everybody has parenting skills. Putting ur kid in time out isnt going to help cause they do not know the meaning of it they are still learning maybe at 2 and 3 years they will know what it mean. GooD Luck
    jjdelaney27

Answer by jjdelaney27 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2010