At what age would you let your kid/ kids have a cell phone???

Not that my kids got one yet they are only 3,4 and 6 but at what age would you let then have one?

sguy1983

Asked by sguy1983 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When he can get a job and pay for it
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I agree with onemellowmom they have to be able to pay for it!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• DD's 19 months and she's got a couple already...... one would work if I could find the charger, the other has a broken screen. Neither actually function as a phone, but she likes to pretend.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:19 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Im 23 yrs old and my sisters who are 17 and 13 got their cellphones 2 yrs. ago and all they do is text, grades started going down and and now all they do is walk with cellphone in hand. I didnt get a cell phones until i was 18 from what i can so i think 16 is ok but with boundaries set because all my sisters do is be on their cell phones all the time and its always a hassle for my parents to control thier texting and talking on the phone so i think 16 is ok
    monique06152010

Answer by monique06152010 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My BIL & SIL are 13 & 14 and both have cell phones, lol. My brother is 11 and has had two previously.. (that I did not buy him! lol) Personally, I didnt have one until I was almost 16! ( & I had to pay for it myself ) ..But I guess its a new day and age, and it seems around 13 is the age that most kids get them these days, lol.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 12:22 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Mine are only 1 and 3 at the moment, but it's going to depend on them. If they have a job and are willing to pay for it, they can get one. If they are responsible and don't let it affect grades, they might get one during jr high. I didn't get one until I was out of high school, so I don't think they need one, but I'm willing for them to have one. They will have restrictions on usage though.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• LOL.... My kids wont have one unless they get a job, buy one and pay for it themselves! My nieces are 12 and 8, they got cell phones a year ago and now my daughter who is almost 7 is asking for one, I told her to go ask her uncle! LOL I told her that I didnt get a pager (LOL, remember pagers? lol) anyways, I didnt get one until I was 14 and that was a little young... I think 18 is good! I would agree with 16 but I see 16yr olds texting and driving all the time... I want to prevent that, not contribute to that!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My kiddo won't get one until he gets a job. lol.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 12:42 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• 15
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My 9 yr old just got one. It wasn't my idea, my ex husband bought it.
    I gave one to my oldest when he was 11. As soon as he got into junior high and I felt like I needed a good way to get a hold of him in that large swarm of children after school.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2010