Licking butts?!

My boy puppy won't stop licking my girl dogs bum. She is fixed and he isn't yet. Why is he doing this and what can I do about it?

Mipsy

Asked by Mipsy at 12:19 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Pets

• Why do dogs do anything they do?? Lol they eat poop, they sit out in the rain trembling when there is a perfectly good garage to go sit in. I say this with all the love in the world because I have two of them, but dogs are dumb. You just have to correct things you see them do that you don't want them to do, and pick your battles because otherwise you will be scolding them nearly all the time. I would say obsessive butt-licking falls into the category of something you want to correct. The other thing to consider is that if the female dog doesn't like it, she will correct the puppy too. And you have to let her, because that's really the best way for the pup to learn the lesson. If the female doesn't mind the butt-licking? Well, like I said, dogs are dumb.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• lol dogs will be dogs. i would roll up a paper and swat him on the nose and say no.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• LOL! Ok, my husband brought it to my attention so it kinda had me worry. He is a pesky little thing I might add. This puppy has driven me to the ends of my patience I swear, LOL!
    Mipsy

Comment by Mipsy (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• lol oh i hated my dog until she was a year old. and what helps alot is to crate train. it worked wonders for us and now 5 years later she is the perfect dog. but just when you see it smack the paper on a table or make a loud nouse or swat him with it and tell him no.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:27 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Thanks! My DH was just worried about it so then I nowticed it and was like WTH?! LOL! But she doesn't care one bit. She isn't irritated or anything. So I won't worry then. THANKS!!!
    Mipsy

Comment by Mipsy (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010