Counseling in Kindergarten??

My son just started school two weeks ago and today he brought home this permission slip to allow him to participate in individual or group counseling at the school. They discuss, anger, loss, friendship, trust, etc. and said it's offered to all the kids, not specifically because there is a problem, but just as preventative care?? My son is awesome. He's a bit smarter than kids his age, he's mostly calm natured, he likes to be told why and how things work. He's a thinker and a problem solver- he's also very loving since having 3 little sisters... My husband said hell no, and I'm concerned how that would play out...anyone have their kid in Kindergarten counseling? Is it really beneficial or just a load of crap? Open opinions please....

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think thats like a normal thing. I mean why does he need counseling? Usualllly its if your child is having problems at home or school. i never heard of it as preventive so I'd just get more info if it was me.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• that's just it, the letter wasn't to me like Dear Mrs. Mom, you son...blah blah blah. It's just a general permission form asking if I want him to be included with either group or individual counseling.... I think it's absurd- they're just kids! Kindergarten is messing with their little brains enough, they want to make them do counseling- which to me is just BS code for therepy....I don't plan on signing the letter, but I just wanted to know if this happens anywhere else! LOL
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I definitely would not sign it. They are far too young for counseling. I could see it if something detrimental was going on at home or in the classroom or in your area. However, just for kicks, no way.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 8:36 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I agree with hubby: Hell NO! Honestly, it sounds as if it's a load of crap! I would want to review the actual lessons, guidelines of this so called "counseling". It just screaming RED FLAG in my opinion!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Oh and if you do say NO, I would follow up to be sure your wishes are being followed.
    SAHMinIL2

• I have never heard of this, but I agree with your DH, I wouldnt want him to do it either.
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Call the school and ask questions.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Counseling in school should be available if you need it. On a case by case basis. Not for every child. I wouldn't sign it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2010