OK so if this does happen considering it is against federal law..,

Aren't the state and stores just as responsible for allowing it. Shouldn't they be the bigger fish to fry? (not saying the ones buying them should be A ok)

People using the cash side of an EBT to purchase these items which are suppose to be not allowed.

You can not buy beer, tobacco,lighter, lighter fluid, pipes, girt cards, or even jewelery with your cash card.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sell alcohol or tobacco to a minor, the store and clerk are guilty. Why would this be any different?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:37 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I gotta say, does it matter? If the person gets denied to use their cash card for an item, they can take the cash card to an ATM, get the cash, and go back and buy whatever prohibited items they want...

And what's the deal with lighter fluid? poor people aren't allowed to grill, now?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:01 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Thing is the state don't know since it isn't required to save the receipts

It should be programmed directly into the registers. There's a sign at one of our stores that you cannot pay for the prepared hot food at the deli (fried chicken, the Starbucks kiosk, etc) with EBT. I got to watch a poor little old lady humiliated in front of the morning Starbuck's rush one day when her card only paid for her food and not her coffee and she didn't understand what the cashier was explaining to her. If they can program all the registers at our teeny local grocery chain that's only in 3 counties, there's no reason all the national chains can't do it too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• absolutely....I see three culprits the government, the clerks/stores, and the pa recipients. If all 3 followed the rules there would be no fraud. We know thats not possible. But if the Government nailed down on those stores and clerks more, there would definitely be significantly less fraud. The problem is funding.... I know this sounds like a merry-go-round. But a lot of the states don't have the funding to do busts like the CNN vid I showed.. So without the busts it's hard to have proof, without proof no conviction, and it continues. I personally can't give a great plan on how to fix it... but I do believe limiting pa to those that truly need it will help. I also think the government should be more stern about the time limits on such programs.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:43 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Thats exactly what I was thining lovin..all they'd have to do is go to an ATM and get the cash out for their beer or whatever..I have never seen anyone sell someone beer using an EBT card though..but I am sure it happens.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Oh, good grief, hot-mama, leave her alone. She chose to follow the rules her boss laid down in order to keep her job to support the baby she was about to have.

Enough with the holier-than-thou, I took a gun from a robber, I'm a bad-ass attitude.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Thing is the state don't know since it isn't required to save the receipts. With WIC it's printed on the back of the check. I wish there was a way to show what the abuses of the system buy.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I am more referring to the act of allowing it not reporting it, and then posting on here that you did, while saying it is a reason PA isn't good.

Even though I knew it was wrong I was told to keep my mouth shut. I would rather keep the job that is paying my rent then back talk my boss on what's wrong and what's right.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I was 6 months pregnant so no, my unborn child was more important then the rules. I worked in a free to work state so they could fire me for what ever reason and it's here say on what really happen. My friend was fired from her job for refusing it and they just lied and said her drawer was short.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:43 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Mommy of two... I can see your dilemma and that really sucks your boss would put you in such a situation. I hope they get a swift kick in the groin. :o)
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:46 AM on Aug. 27, 2010