Would u rather have a older home or have one built?

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 1:05 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in

• Is it free either way?
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 1:05 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• one built so I ca have design it the way I want.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:06 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't like brand new, but I don't like 1920's either. I think older homes have character though..
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:08 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have done both routes. The home I had built, even though everything was new, it just lacked character. I now live in a home that was built in 1959 but the remnants of a hurricane spawned a tornado and my home had to be rebuilt. So, I have a 1959 slab with a 1995 home. I did get to keep some of the things that make this house unique. I think I would go with an older home as long as the major systems, electric, a/c and plumbing are up to current codes. Also with an established home you also have fences in place, etc.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 1:12 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We just built our house last year and while I love it....I never want to go through building again. It is so stressful and so many things can go wrong. I would rather pick out one that I love and remodel it.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:14 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Very few people get to have a house built exactly the way they want. It can be an expensive, stressful process. My father and grandfather were carpenters and I helped my parents build two of their homes.

When we were buying a house a year ago we decided to buy an older house rather than a house in a typical newer addition. We looked at houses in additions and found them to be poorly built and generally boring. I'm happy with our decision. Our house is in an old (historic) edition with large yards and houses have been changed enough that they don't all look the same but they haven't been torn down and replaced with houses that don't fit with the landscape.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:14 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would want the old house, if it was built like the one I grew up in. Everything was built to last!! We had 5entry/exit doors and window sills approx.12'' deep. Very energy efficient even without refrigerated air the house was cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The smallest room was as big as my master bedroom is now. Plus a yard to run and play, not these 10' x 12' foot back yards. Thats why children would rather play games indoors. You can't do much in such a tiny yard.
    Barbs05

Answer by Barbs05 at 1:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We are taking my FIL's house. It was built in 1980 and is in great shape for the very little work he has been able to do to it, being disabled and all!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I wish I could find a house like that.
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would like to build and design my own
    motherwanting6

Answer by motherwanting6 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 27, 2010