is it too early for me and my husband to buy things for our baby who's almost 4 mos in my tummy?

mommylei1202

Asked by mommylei1202 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started shopping about 2 months in :) well toys and basics anyways, had to wait until the ultrasound at 20 weeks for clothes.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Nope, superstitious people say wait until after 12 weeks and you are passed that so your good. Buy away but, you should know the sex in a few weeks. If your finding out.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I bought my first thing nearly 4 years before she arrived! Once I was actually pregnant, I didn't want to buy anything for fear of "jinxing" things.
    It's not too early to buy but instead of rushing out, make a list of the critical things you will NEED (a carseat), what you would LIKE (a mobile for the crib), what you won't need for a while (highchair), and what would be a fun luxury (cute baby shoes). Then do research - the book Baby Bargains is great for this - to find out what other parents like, what brands are junk, and what features are great to have and which are a waste of money and weight... baby junk weighs a ton without the kitchen sink thrown in.
    Once you have your list, keep an eye out for sales and have fun. Don't forget that lots of companies change their models in January - usually that means you can get this year's shade of blue for a lot less than next year's shade of navy.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It's definitely not too early to start buying things. I started the day I found out I was pregnant. One thing I would suggest doing is to to buy a package of diapers or wipes every time you are at the store. You can stock up on every size. The great thing about this is you get yourself in the habit of putting that money away for diapers and you have 9 months to stock up. You'll be set once the baby arrives. I also bought little things like lotion, body wash, desitin, powder. All the little necessities are a great idea. I recommend this to everyone! It helped a ton. Congratulations
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 9:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My mind says that you should wait, but my heart always says buy. I love baby shopping and have shopped for 4 pregnancies; unfortunately, I have only 1 living child. My first 2 miscarriages were early (before 12 weeks) so I had only bought 2-3 small things that I began a "hope chest" with. My third ended with a still birth at 7 months and we had been buying things along the way (even had a shower the week before. It was terrible to walk into the room and see everything, but we went through it and kept some momentos then donated the rest to our church outreach program. That made me feel better, knowing that I was helping others out. I don't want to be a pessimist because this is a wonderful time in your life and you should do whatever makes you happy.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Heck no! Buying while you are waiting is so much fun. When we were waiting to adopt, we hit up sales and bought diapers, clothes, toys and furniture. Have fun and enjoy going shopping for your new little one. If you find out you can't use something, you can always return it or consign it. Congrats on such an awesome and special time in your life! :)
    jamaicanmehappy

Answer by jamaicanmehappy at 11:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Now is a great time to buy a crib, rocker, changing table...anything non-gender specific. Or even a few things that will work for either!!
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 11:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My mom and I went shopping the day of my ultrasound and found out the sex!
    Mrs.Bauer

Answer by Mrs.Bauer at 11:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Nah. I actually bought a stroller before I was off birth control. It was on sale, and I figured we'd want it some day!

We ended up re-selling it and buying a different one...once I had more of an inkling of what kind of stroller we needed.
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 12:36 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• No, I start at 4 mos pregnant and I have it all by the time the baby comes. I have friends that are 2 weeks from due and have nothing, it just depends on if you like to prepare ahead or not.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2008