Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If my son is in a special education class will he still need to use the daytrana patch that they ask for him to wear in a regular class?

But I dont like that it will supress his appetite and thats that I take it off right after school, so I dont want to goive it to him anymore but feel forced by the teacher and principal, so thats why I was wonderingif he were in a special ed class would he still have to take a med to calm him down? He's got Pervasive developmental disorder and hes in kinder. I also read dayrana can slow your child's growth so that worrys me too.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in

Answers (7)
  • Keep him home and teach him yourself?


    Answer by Gailll at 1:30 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Why don't you ask the school?

    Answer by getrealmama at 1:48 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • I use to tutor special ed students and their meds were always in the office locked up so when it was time for them to take it, they went down and took it. Have you considered in enrolling him in a special school? They have schools where all the students have some kind of disability and they have trained teachers and nurses on site.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:49 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • I hate to hear that you were bullied into medicating your ds. I would stop giving him the patch. Just see how he does without it. Also, provide them a list of things for them to do or have him do (help the teacher, empty the cans, anything to keep him busy. I had my ds's OT give a list of things for the teacher to help with his sensory issues. They can't make you give him medicine, and I wouldn't mention stopping it to them. GL

    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:45 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Maybe you should home school.

    Answer by CometGirl at 1:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Even if he's in a special education setting, he should still take the medicine if it's helping him. Even in a special ed setting, he will still probably have some of the same problems that he had in the regular classroom. If he had trouble focusing and paying attention in the regular classroom those same things are still going to interfere with his learning even if he's somewhere else.

    Answer by Sillieguze at 8:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • you'd have to ask the school, i know some that offer special programs... so you could do that...

    Answer by asil at 6:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.