I love this quote

"If
our children know their Algebra and their Grammar better than they know
the book of Psalms, Proverbs, Genesis, and Matthew, we have given our
children a sub-standard education." ~ Kevin Swanson

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 1:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You're right, getrealmama, Educating your children about the Bible is not a substitute for reading, writing, and 'rithmatic. But I believe it is a valuable lesson in how to live honestly and respect your fellow mankind. Reading, writing, and 'rithmatic won't do that.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:42 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• As much as you value your children knowing the bible, you do have to realize that knowledge of the bible is not going to get them a job.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:38 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• This is why I am raising my children in the bible :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have to agree with getrealmama.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:49 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I didn't say it would get them a Job but their Faith and Love of God that comes from knowing the Bible will give them what they need to get through everything in life.
    My Children have an Education but the thing I want them to know most is the Bible and about God.
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Sorry, I disagree. If you said you wanted them to be good people above all else, then I could totally get on board. But straight knowledge of the bible, above all other education? I think I know people like that. They think the answer to every question and the solution to every disagreement lies in a bible verse. And the world just plain does not revolve around your bible. Maybe YOUR world does, and that's 100%ok. But there are many, many of us out there who pity people who can only quote the bible instead of having the critical thinking skills to formulate their own arguments.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:46 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I agree Adelicious, but the bible is not the only way to teach honesty and respect for your fellow man. Personally I think that is a great quote to share in a Christian Group. But here in the answers section it is just baiting and looking for bashing.

OP, I am sure you are a nice lady, but I keep seeing you complain about how people are so mean here, but you tend to post questions that BEG for bashing. I think it is wonderful that you have such faith in God, but please share it with like minded people, groups are great for that.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:48 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• So, it's okay to go around here making fun of people and posting questions that are full of bashing but not sharing my Faith?
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 1:50 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• That was not my point at all.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2010