Should i be worried?

my daughter is 16 months going on 17 months and hasnt started walking yet, she will crawl every where and climb on to everything and will walk with you and while you hold her hands, if you stand her up and let go she will stand up for a min, i am asking because the doctor said if she isnt walking by 17monts there maybe a problem and i hope my daughter proves him wrong, i think she stubborn because she didnt start crawling till he was 10 months old. is there anything to help her to learn how to walk or suggestions

jjdelaney27

Asked by jjdelaney27 at 1:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was almost 15 months when he started walking. One thing that really helped him was when we got a push car that he could hold on to and walk with. He was jammin' all over the house with that thing! Ours was an older version of this : http://www.target.com/Hasbro-Playskool-Step-Start-Walk/dp/B00004T2WP/ref=br_1_8?ie=UTF8&id=Hasbro%20Playskool%20Step%20Start%20Walk&node=240653011&searchSize=30&searchView=list&searchPage=1&sr=1-8&qid=1282888366&rh=&searchBinNameList=target_com_category-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin%2Cprice&searchRank=pmrank&frombrowse=1
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:53 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Some children just devlop differntly, she might be focusing on learning other thing before she trys walking. I had to get my son a push along before her would attempt to walk and then he would walk all day with it.
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 1:55 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• http://www.itsamomsworld.com/toddler_development_walking.html
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:56 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• YEAH ID SAY TRY A TOY THAT SHE CAN PUSH THAT HAS LOTS OF MUSIC!! SHE JUST MIGHT BE SCARED TO FALL..MY SON WAS A BIT SCARED BUT WE TOOK HIM TO WAL-MART AND LET HIM PICK A TOY THAT WOULD HELP HIM BUILD HIS COURAGE TO TAKIN STEPS!! HE WOULD START JAMMIN TO THE SONGS AND LET GO SO HE WULD STAND THERE AND DANCE SO LITTLE BY LITTLE HE WULD TAKE STEPS THEN BAM BEFORE A DAY OR TWO HE WAS LITERALLY RUNNING...N BOY HES HARD TO CHASE LOL..GOD WILLING SHE WILL BE FINE!!
    GUDMOMMY86

Answer by GUDMOMMY86 at 2:00 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have been told that if they arent walking by 15 months the doc needs to evaluate them to make sure they are just late walkers and dont actually have a problem, and if they arent walking by 18 they need thereapy. Thats just what i have heard from my pedi though. I havent been through it myself.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I agree with the push toys. Something else you might try, get somebody else to walk her around if you can. My son suddenly decided he wanted to start walking after my mom started working with him... she wasn't here much and I think having somebody different to "impress" just revamped his excitement. That and he KNEW that mama would pick him up and then there is the fact that crawling is just plain faster than learning to walk at first. That said, IF there is some physical reason she's not walking you want to find out sooner rather than later. Better to be safe than sorry right? My first child crawled at 10 months and walked within a week of 1 yr. My second crawled at 8 months but didn't walk until a week before turning 16 months. Our youngest child's doc said if he wasn't walking by 16 months she wanted me to set up a "just in case" visit with a physical therapist.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• thanks everybody thats what my doctor said there might be a problem if she isnt by a certain age but i think she to scare to fall and plus she held to much by family and she has a couple of toys like that and she tries she learned how to climb on the riders and push her self with them. I just hope she proves that doctor wrong lol.
    jjdelaney27

Comment by jjdelaney27 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My 13 month old daughter just started walking about 2 weeks ago. We got her a ride on car, that
    also folds upward so she can hold on and walk.
    lbjd457

Answer by lbjd457 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2010