S/O of at what age post...

This got me wondering are our children really deciding for them selves if they choose the same religion/beliefs as their parents?

crazymom21

Asked by crazymom21 at 1:56 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Teaching a child your religious beliefs is not brain washing any more than teaching them manners is brain washing. Yes I am a Christian and yes we took our children to church with us. We taught them how we believe. We also taught them how we believe politically, we taught them manners, we taught them to drive a car. We taught them how to read and to do math. We taught them to pull weeds and to plant flowers and trees. What I am trying to say is whatever your beliefs you teach them to your children and it is not brainwashing. I love watching pro football, my husband loves Nascasr. Our daughter loves Nascar so did he brainwash her when she was a little girl and sat on daddy's lap and watched the races with him? No she just developed an interest in it because daddy loved it. Our children have also developed a love for God in the same manner. cont.*
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 7:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I think when they understand what religion is.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I think when they comprehend the beliefs of religions.
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If they have not been taught or brian washed to yes.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:00 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't understand the title but regarding the body of your question..........It is one of my major goals as a parent that my son will. It is torture (i know from experience) to be forced to attend churches of any sort or perform any sort of ritual when you do not completely and totally understand why. I will provide the knowledge or the tools for him to gain the knowledge on ANY religion of which he is ever interested, I feel VERY strongly that my son be able to make his own choices on which religion (if any) suit his beliefs when he is capable to make an informed decision on the subject. Up until then, I will not allow religion of any sort into my sons life!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My parents were both raised catholic but they wanted my brother and I to make up our own minds about religion. They gave us no religious education of any kind. My brother is atheist and I am agnostic and we are both very comfortable with our views because we arrived at them using our own decision process, not because we were being ordered to think a certain way. I think many people NEED to be led, that is why organized religion is so popular. But I think some of us have an equal need to find our own way by reading, asking questions, etc.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:25 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• getrealmama........Does my heart and soul good to read your comment, I know (not that I did not already KNOW) that I am making the right decision for my son. And I agree 100% with your comment on organized religion, it's not an opinion though.........the TRUTH is that most people are rather weak of mind and are simply unable to accept that there is no answer for the ultimate (WHY?) questions of life, so they turn to organized religion which provides that security for them.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• no i dont think kids are given a choice for the most part. They have to just do whatever the parents do.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:38 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• There isn't any one age. Some People can search a long time to figure out what they really believe, some don't. Others change their minds at different stages of their life. Everyone is an individual.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:02 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• No child is capable of making that choice. People think they are, and will even talk about how their kids are "different" and "really understand". That just means they've been brainwashed better. The brain lacks the cognitive ability to make that kind of decision as a child. Even as a teenager, choices are based more on chemical impulse than logic and reasoning. Anyone who thinks their 6 year old really understands and isn't just trying to please their parents is lying to themselves.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:15 AM on Aug. 27, 2010