• In the Spotlight:

How to keep my dog from killing chickens?

I have a Siberian Husky mix and he has killed 3 of our chickens in a two day peiod. He's not trying to eat them, more like "playing" with them. It's a bad thing for two reasons: 1- There not our chickens, and 2- It's just sad that he's killing poor, helpless creatures. Can anyone help me out?

BsMama08

Asked by BsMama08 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Pets

• i had a jack russel daschound mix..there was nothing i could do from stopping him from killing them..and that was his intention. the chickens arent even yours?? tell who ever owns them to keep them out of your yard or your dog will kill them!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Can you separate your dog from the chickens? How about fencing off a section of the yard for the chickens?
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 12:31 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• If your dog is getting out and killing someone else's chickens you need to keep your dog under control. Either be sure he can't get out of your yard or only let him out when you can supervise.
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• He's acting on his insticts as a dog. Either the chickens need to be kept in a coop or the dog needs to be on a leash when outside and not left unsupervised.
    Looking2Adopt1

Answer by Looking2Adopt1 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Well, first of all, the dogs are staying at my hubby's grandparents house out in the country. When we go to let them out to run and play, my sibe, runs after every chicken that he sees. We've already decided to keep him on a leash until we get to a secluded area but i was hoping for better suggestions such as, TEACHING him not to mess with them. Does anyone know of some kind of teaching/disciplinary thing i can do to end this problem?
    BsMama08

Answer by BsMama08 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Have you tried researching dog training techniques on the internet? I'm sure there's lots of info out there.
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 2:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• i do agree bsmama that you should keep him on a leash since he doesnt wanna listen. and where you are originally from, are there chickens there? he's probably just excited becuase he hasnt encountered these little funny lookin creatures before. why don't you try a dog run? and the chickens, are they the neighbors or your inlaws?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I wish I had some answers here. My doxie has gone after our chickens, but he has never killed them. He listens pretty well when we tell him no or leave it or get over here. Maybe if you could train your dog those commands? Im not even sure how we taught him that. Just through repitition and watching my husbands grandparents dog he learned really young. I hope you can find a solution.
    EmilyRoseLovett

Answer by EmilyRoseLovett at 6:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• The chickens are my inlaws and our dogs are staying at there house until we get things settled. We also have another dog, an australian shepherd mix, and she knows not to go after em. When we tell her "no" or "stay", she listens. I'm hopin', like you said EmilyRose, that our sibe will learn from our aussie mix. Thanks for all the helpfull solution guys! I really appreciate it!
    BsMama08

Answer by BsMama08 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I have two siberians and the truth is these dogs will go after anything that moves.... They are also known to chase and yes accidently kill cats also. I have three cats and two siberians they get a long well but it has been on going constant training to teach them they are MY CATS do not TOUCH. The chickens is a tough bit, you may have to decide rid of the chicken or rid of the dog unless of course you want to constantly supervise and train.
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 7:04 AM on Oct. 17, 2008