What should I do with my talapia?

How should I cook it?
What should I put on it or coat it with?
How do I cook it? and for how long?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 7:35 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I like mine baked in the oven with a little garlic powder, black pepper and crushed red pepper, plus a squeeze of fresh lime. I put it in a foil packet and bake it about 15 minutes till it's done.

I've also make a mock ceviche by microwaving chunks of tilapia with the juice of 2 limes (about 1-2 minutes) then flaking it up and adding it to salsa and diced avocado.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:15 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I like it baked with lemon pepper & butter. Just place it in a baking dish. Put a little butter in there, and sprinkle some lemon pepper on it. Bake it at 400 degrees until it is white and flaky.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:39 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I mix some cornmeal with some salt and you can either pan fry it in oil, or healthier, spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, coat the fish in the salted cornmeal and put on the sheet, give the tops a quick spray and pop it in a super hot oven. Thats how we eat it here with stewed potatoes and coleslaw
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 7:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• yah, do the cornmeal, lightly fry it & make fish tacos. I like mango salsa & sour cream with my fish tacos!

Mango salsa;

1 Mango
    1/2 bunch cilantro
    1/2 onion
    1 red peper
    2 cloves garlic
    1 lime
    a splash of olive oil
    Salt & pepper

let it sit for at least 15 min. before serving on your fish tacos
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:59 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I was really craving a Fish Filet from McDonalds.... so I dipped my tilapia in milk/egg, then breadcrumbs (or spices+panko), fry it in about 1-2Tblsp of olive oil. I then toasted some bread, put some tartar sauce and lettuce on it, and when the fish was finished, I had a fish filet sandwhich. You can also compliment with homefries or baked potato wedges.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 8:01 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We put olive oil on it and roll it in cornmeal and pan fry it. We then make a mixture of mayo, garlic, lime, and chili powder (awesome!) and put that on ciabatta bread with the fish. Oh, and you can add lettuce and tomato too. It is really really good!
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 8:11 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I season it with and all spice blend, coat it with flour and fry it in olive oil, then make a mango chutney to put over it it, it is delicious. You can make it yourself or buy it made. the recepie for it you can find it at foodnetwork.com

Answer by older at 8:30 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• last time i made tilapia i threw it on the grill with some lime juice and cumin and then made fish tacos :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Tilapia, especially farm raised, is highly toxic. Please don't feed it to your children!!

Answer by rkoloms at 11:19 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• oh and with tilapia, you just cook it until its white (instead of greyish) and translucent
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:19 AM on Aug. 27, 2010