Does anyone know if/when they expire?

I have some of those Wilton Icing color gels from 4 years ago that I used for my DD's 1st birthday. The cake that I'm making this year calls for some of the same colors. I can't find any expiration date on them and was wondering if anyone knew if they were okay to use. They are practically full jars so I hope they are still ok!

musicalbabe85

Asked by musicalbabe85 at 8:45 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Check the consistency of them. Once I remove the seal, mine only last about 6 months before they start getting grainy.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• This is what I found on google.

"The Wilton colors are good forever as long as you do not get any icing in the containers. Also, if they get gummy just add a couple of drops of glycerin to the container and mix!"
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 8:50 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I like the saying "When in doubt, throw it out". (especially if it is 4 years old)
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:50 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• They'll be fine. I'm a cake decorator and Iuse the same jar of color for several years if it's not one that I use often. I've still got Winnie-the-Pooh gold from one of my kids' birthday cakes and the youngest is now 10, so that would put that color at least 7 years old. I've even got some jars that are closer to 10 -15 years old. I use it. As long as you don't get any grease in the jar, the coloring will be fine. Leaf green is the only one that tends, for some reason, to not stay smooth and gel-like. It's still fine to use, though.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i don't think they do expire... they might get hard and crusty eventually but otherwise they don't go bad
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:14 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• The expiration date is on the crimp on the end of the tube. If it's to hard to squeeze out it's bad. If its still soft it's good. 2 years max I believe.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2010