I'm at my wits end with our dog - help!

He pulls on the leash, he jumps up on counters, he barks when we let him outside, he barks when he's inside, he chews up our garden fences and he's driving me insane!!

He's a 1 year old St. Bernard, any ideas???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Pets

• Oh my goodness, seems like he is taking over the household!!!!!! you need a trainer with a dog this big, it will be worth your money, good luck!

Answer by older at 8:56 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Watch the Dog Whisperer!!! It's my favorite show in the world and we followed his teachings raising our dog. Our dog is nearly flawless. He gets too excited when he sees people and dogs, but other than that he is a joy. No leash-pulling, no digging, etc.

Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer's) philosophy is "exercise, discipline, affection." Make sure your pup is getting PLENTY of exercise as he is a working breed. If you want to talk further about it feel free to message me! Working with my dog is one of my hobbies.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 8:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Sounds like the dog has no training, which is something EVERY dog needs. Right now, he's the alpha, not you. You need to get him in training to fix that. Otherwise, I can forsee another unwanted animal winding up in a shelter
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 9:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Hire a trainer as soon as possible. He needs discipline. Please have patience with him! Dogs do what comes natural to them until they've been taught different.
    ryansmom13

Answer by ryansmom13 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• The dog needs training and also needs to know his place in the pack. I would not allow this to go in any longer, hire a trainer to come to your house. I would also recommend that you get a gentle leader head halter for him to walk with it will help teach him to walk nicely on the leash. AS far as the barking that could be out of boredom. I would increase the amount of excersise that he gets.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You need to getyourself to a good trainer - not petsmart or some place like that - a REAL trainer - with group classes. With a dog like that you cant mess around with obedience.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 5:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Training / socialising classes. That's nothing that can't be fixed with training. At the moment, he's just being a dog.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 7:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• A Big puppy who needs some SERIOUS obedience training. After training, you'll see a big difference for sure.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 11:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• clickertraining.com has an awesome list of local trainers. Plus they all use positive training and don't use shock collars or choke chains (negative). Ours has made a MAJOR difference with our dogs. : )
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 12:07 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• wow he is prett bog good luck
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 29, 2010