What are my kids?

I have 3 very beautiful little girls who I love to pieces. My dilema is filling out school entrance forms where it asks, Race & Ethnicity. I have no clue what is "correct". I see no "Heinz 57" option! LOL This is our mix:

I am Hispanic - my dad is from Mexico, my mom is White American (her grandparents came over from Czekoslovakia) My DH is White American (his ancestors have German, Irish, & Polish heritage)

So what does that make our kids? To what degree are they still considered Hispanic? I was told that I could check Hispanic for them, but then I get funny looks because two of them look NOTHING like me. They have my DH's blonde hair, fair/pale skin, and the bluest eyes. My middle DD is a mini-me and could pass as Dora the Explorer's twin. She's got the dark hair, dark skin and dark brown eyes. I just don't want to be accused of not filling things out "correctly."

scrapbookmylife

Asked by scrapbookmylife at 9:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• I always mark Other :)
    Anonymous

• My husband is half mexican and looking at our kids together you'd never know it! I'd just check other too.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I believe if YOU the mother are half hispanic your daughters can be considered hispanic. It is just for cencus purposes only I believe and worst case scenario your wrong and uncheck it. No biggie. Id go ahead and check hispanic or do white AND hispanic if they ask why yuo explain and theyll give you the correct answer. Problem solved
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• In the United States a child is legally the race of it's father. You kids are white or anglo or caucasian or european american. lol I'm white and my DH is black, my kids are black. Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Check off hispanic to give them a history of claiming a hispanic ethnicity. It will come in handy later when they're filling out financial aid forms for college - there are often extra grants or loans available for children who are ethnically diverse. If they've been checking off "caucasian" or "other" all throughout school, it will be more difficult to establish later. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My children r biracial so when I fill out forms w/ this ?, I check White & African American bc they're both & I shouldn't feel like I can only pick 1!!!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I do the same thing as lovingparent08. My son is also caucasion and african american. I feel like i should be able to check them both cuz thats what he is.
    mommylatte

Answer by mommylatte at 12:10 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Ok Avarah...do you want to be American but Latin when it is financially better for you? I think that is crap.
    Anonymous