OMG she is driving me insane!

My three year old cat won't leave me be. She is constantly my shadow and I am tripping over her when I walk. When I go to the bathroom and shut the door she whines and tries to get in the entire time. My SO says that when I leave she will cry for an extended period of time at the front door and will lie by the door until I get home.

Any ideas on how to stop this behavior?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 9:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Pets

• First, you would want to make sure there is nothing medically wrong with her. I haven't really known over-affection to be a sign of health issues in a cat...but you never know!

Second, make sure that she has enough toys to play with. Cats DO get bored, and they exhibit it in different ways. My cat used to misbehave because she would get lonely and bored. Now that we have two other cats, she's not that way anymore.

Third, be sure to spend some time paying attention to her. Some cats are just like dogs in the affection department. She just needs some attention from her favorite person. Get out her toys and play with her. Even if it's just 10-15 minutes a day.
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 12:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Lol...I can't help you, but I feel your pain!
    mrsjoeljr

Answer by mrsjoeljr at 3:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• cats have good instincts shes keeping u close cause the baby ( i worked at petsmart and gotta lot of knowledge on animals)
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• our 13 yr old cat does the same thing... when DH leaves... i let the cat outside for the day!
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 7:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• It sounds like your cat loves you. There is nothing wrong with that. :) However, it can be annoying when you start tripping over her.
    First take her to the vet to rule out seperation anxiety (which I believe may be the problem). If it IS SA then the vet can give you some meds to calm her down.
    If it's not, then you simply have an overly loving cat on your hands.
    Looking2Adopt1

Answer by Looking2Adopt1 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• at the pet store if theres a petsmart near you theres a thing in the cat section that helps calm them down its like a plug in all you have to do is ask an associate to help you find it it helps calm them down try that
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Feel your pain try having 4 dogs following you around! LOL Good luck wonder if that plug thing works on dogs.
    dallasalice1

Answer by dallasalice1 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 12, 2008