How do you feel a man perceives a woman with two children?

Things between hubby and I didn't work out. We're divorced and I'm considering dating again. I have two children. They only know their father, so I'm real careful not to bring other men around them. They are 6 and 1. Here's the thing...how do you think men perceive women with two children? Do you think they perceive us differently, respect wise, in comparison to women who are childless? I want to meet a good guy, level headed, respectful, kind, marriage material, but I feel kindof leary as dating "as a mother of two" is new to me. Any ideas or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Relationships

• SPeaking from experience as a divorced mother of 2 kids it is hard but do not lower your standards. My children were almost 2 & 4 when I became single and I spent the first year fixing myslef and being the best mom I could be. Then I stepped into the dating world and you will quickly see that you will meet men that want all of your attention and those are the ones you walk away from but then there are the great ones. I have never lowered my standards and I am now with my soul mate and guess what he is a single dad and we are planning our life together as a big happy family. Just a word of caution unless you plan on having a relationship with him do not bring him around your kids at all
    mommygreeneyes

Answer by mommygreeneyes at 2:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think they perceive women with children as luggage. You should really just focus you attentions towards you children for a couple of years at least.
    Anonymous

• All the guys i know respect single moms.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 9:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Well, being a single mom is NOT an advantage, I can tell you that. If you try things like Match.com you will scroll through all kinds of profiles of male rejects. Then when you get to a guy who seems exciting and interesting, invariably his profile says that he wants someone with no kids as his desired match.

It sucks, but its real. Accept it and realize you might have to lower some standards. Try to lower appearance standards instead of behaviour standards. yes the guy you date might be bald and pot bellied, but if he has a good disposition and is kind to you and your kids, you have to run with that.
    Anonymous

• It all depends on the MAN!!! My fiance accpeted my 3 kids with an open heart and an open mind.
    My fiance had no kids of his own (my kids are now his kids). We are now 6 months pregnant with our 1st child.
    I dated a few men before I meet my fiance. My rule was until I knew there was a possiblity of more---my kids NEVER meet or even knew about the man I was dating!
    You wil know when its the right time to introduce your kids to your new man! Just trust your heart momma!
    kgcmomma

Answer by kgcmomma at 10:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Hmm, wow. I appreciate your honesty Ladies. I'm going to take my time either way. Men don't run out, lol. I don't plan on lowering any standard other than considering someone who has children too. I honestly don't want anymore as I have a boy and girl, but I'd consider a man who is also a single parent.
    Anonymous

• Thank you KGC! That was uplifting :)
    Anonymous

• nobody "plans on" lowering their standards. Its just a hard realization as time goes on and you realize that you arent' in demand by very attractive, high-potential males.

I'm just saying open your mind to lower quality males in terms of appearance and income, and you'll be right there with the rest of us. You'll do fine with them.
    Anonymous

• i had a child from another man and my hubby didn't care matter of fact they get along real well and my sister she has 2 kids from her ex and her hubby took the childern as his i think it depends on what kind of guy you are looking for. some guys are flippin snob witch they don't like big thick women witch they should get smack some like girls that look like porn stars, some guys are church guys and they are pretty nice and they don't judge as much as women do..
    Anonymous

• Okay...I'm going to keep an open mind for sure.
    Anonymous