Trashy neighbors... their cat is giving my dog fleas!!

So, the neighbors that live next door to me (and I'm not one to judge) are total trash. The mom (who's around 50) is pilled-out and spacey; she takes pills to ignore the fact that HER daughter (who's probably 22-24 ) is a white-trash wanna-be hoodrat stripper who has ZERO interest in raising her own daughter (who's about 6); so Grandma is raising the grandkid while daughter does whatever she damn well pleases (and i'm sick of listening to them scream @ each other at all hours of the day and night). I digress.... These low-lives have a cat that is COVERED with fleas; in turn it's given my dog fleas b/c it's always in my yard. I don't know what to do about this; there's no talking sense with these people, so DH and I's only thought on getting the fleas PERMANENTLY off my dog (he's 5 and has NEVER had fleas before) is to "get rid of" the cat (and I really don't like that idea). Thoughts?

Kassey713

Asked by Kassey713 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Pets

• i know there are "yard sprays" that say they kill fleas, is that an option? Aside from that, I would get the dog one of those "on the neck" flea repellents that you get from the vet, those seem to be very effective. You could also call the humane society about the "wild cat" that roams your neighborhood, maybe they'll pick it up? I'm sorry, I had neighbors like that years ago, we built a huge privacy fence so we didn't have to look at their run-down hovel. Didn't keep the smell out of our yard though. *shudder*
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:46 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• any animal that is outdoors can get fleas
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Not the cats fault, and you can't be sure that the cat is the culprit, so getting "rid" of it would be a very cruel thing to do. Maybe try to treat the cat, if it will let you, and your dog at the same time. If that is not an option then take peanutsmommy1's advice.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• call the ASPCA for neglect
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• sounds like your troubles are more with the stripper daughter and pilled out grandma..dont take it out on the poor cat
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• buy some frontline for your neighbors cat. yup...you pay for it.
    obviously these people care nothing for their cat, themselves, or you and your dog.
    It would be best for everyone involved IMO to just pony up the cash and take care of the neglected animal. Your dog will thank you for it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:39 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• hell, my INDOOR cats got fleas, probably one came in off our pant leg or something
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Fleas live in the grass and they are TERRIBLE this year I have indoor cats and they got infested just from sitting in the window and by the door when we go in and out. I think it would be best if maybe you focused your attention on that poor lil girl who clearly doesnt deserve to grow up like that. Im not a cop caller but social services might need to get involved esp if there are drugs involved.
    lolo0636

Answer by lolo0636 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Have you tried google maps to get their address? type your address in and then go down the street and see if theirs comes up? Good luck, you're doing the right thing.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:33 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• That's a good idea. Can I call anonymously? If they know it's me, I'm most likely gonna have to fight the stripper-daughter b/c she thinks she's a hardass and she's immature like that (and I CAN fight her; I'm just too old for this type of drama over something stupid).
    Kassey713

Comment by Kassey713 (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Aug. 27, 2010