how to stop my 7wk old from spitting up milk constantly after feeding

after feedings my child burps and then spits up a lot its like constant

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she on formula? If so you may need to see about switching brands. My daughter did this until we found one right for her. Also use bottled water to mix it with.
    discoverytoygal

Answer by discoverytoygal at 10:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Your baby may be lactose intolerant. If its like projectile spit-up then its an allergic reaction to milk based formula. If its mild then don't worry about it. I had the same problem with my now 8 mos old when he was much younger. The pediatrician said no worries as long as the baby is well hydrated :) Hope this helps!
    Dolphindancer

Answer by Dolphindancer at 10:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Check with your MD about switching formulas. If that doesn't work, it might be reflux. I know my son still spits up all the time and he is 5 months old. The MD told us that the muscle at the top of his stomach was weak and did not hold his food in well enough so it tends to come back up. They usually begin to outgrow it somewhere between 4-8 months. Meanwhile, we have switched formulas (helps alittle) and take 3 outfits to daycare so they can change him when he spits up enough to soak his outfit.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Maybe breastfeed, if your poor child is on formula.
    Anonymous

• i noticed burping my baby every half ounce to an ounce made a HUGE difference. He is a preemie so his tummy is still pretty immature but burping a lot during his feedings reduced our spit up to virtually none and to our surprise even after just a half ounce he did have to burp Good luck
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I would say first try buy thickening the formula my son has acid reflux from his esophageal atresia repair and thats what i do and it works well just use like the infant rice cereal. other wise i would go have it checked out.
    kaylapearson

Answer by kaylapearson at 10:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• burping frequently is good to but sometimes when you do that they will puke with it, if i dont thicken lucians feeds he would project it out well atleast before his nissen fundoplication. hope this helps
    kaylapearson

Answer by kaylapearson at 10:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• maybe try enfamil ar lipil it worked well with us im sorry i didnt see the 7 weeks old part and probably shouldn have ceral yet or check with the doc b/c enfamil ar is good stuff
    kaylapearson

Answer by kaylapearson at 10:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Is baby formula or breastfed? I'm not looking to get into a debate, but the suggestions I would have would be different depending on how the baby is fed. If baby is breastfed, mom could have an oversupply of milk, or it might let down faster than the baby can handle, which can cause the baby to overeat and then spit up. There are fairly easy ways to fix that. If baby is formula fed, try feeding smaller amounts more often - ie 2 ounces at a time instead of 3 or 4, just fed more often. Whether breast or formula fed, it might help to keep the baby in an upright position for 30 minutes or so after eating. Try wearing your baby in a sling. Being in such close contact with you could help the baby digest the milk better, plus being upright will help the milk stay in the stomach. Good luck!

ToddlerBrain82

Answer by ToddlerBrain82 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my daughter had that problem dr put her enfimil ar (with added rice to thickin the formula) no problems since my oldest was lactose intolerent and allergic to soy he had to be on aluemenum im sure i spelled that one its been almost 5 years since i used it.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008