I'm buying a used Nikon D40X, what should I look for?

So this sounds to good to be true and I'm so excited about it! I found a used nikon d4ox for sale in my area, I've wanted a nice camera for so long and I'm not sure what to look for, I've used the SLR cameras a couple times, but is there any tips anyone could give me? I'm not sure what to look for to make sure everything works properly. Thanks you

proudmom20000

Asked by proudmom20000 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I dont' know about buying used, personally I would not buy the camera body used, there is so much that could go wrong with it. THings that could be broken or malfunctioning and you wouldn't know about it until you really started using the camera. I would suggest buying a new camera body, I know they are expensive, but then you have a warranty if something goes wrong and you can buy extended coverage for it. A lens I would buy used because those you can pretty much look at to make sure nothing is wrong.

What's your budget? Check Ebay there are a lot of new in the box products for less than retail. I got my Nikon D3000 at Best Buy on a package deal for $650, the camera body, 2 lenses, and a backpack case.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Photographers seller their used cameras all the time, especially when they upgrade to newer models. I have purchased used and sold used on eBay before.

One thing to ask is how many photos have been taken with the camera body? Look through the viewfinder and point the camera at the sky. Do you see any dust? If it comes with lenses, check those out too. Look for scratches, etc. Ask to see photos taken with the camera recently. Better yet, if the person is local, meet with the buyer and take your own memory card and ask to take a few photos to try out the camera before you buy it.
    Patty_WAHM

Answer by Patty_WAHM at 11:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Thanks ladies, for your answers, I did end up buying the camera, it was from a college student that got it for christmas a couple years back and said its more complicated then what he wants and hes not that serious about photography. I got a great deal, and so far it seems to be working great, It takes wonderful pictures and I'm looking forward to buying a bigger lense for it one of these days, but for now its perfect for me!
    proudmom20000

Comment by proudmom20000 (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Sep. 3, 2010