Anyone decide against the progesterone shots? Why? If you decided to recieve it, why?

This is the shot giving to help reduce the chances of premature labor. I have tried googling it but it isn't helping me.

kysmom642

Asked by kysmom642 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am anxious to see the answers. My DH and I are currently TTC, and because of difficulties I had when carrying my son, my OB-GYN is recommending that I do the progesterone shots.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I took progesterone suppositories with all three of my successful pregnancies. I have had many miscarriages, I (and my doc) believe that the progesterone is what my body needed to keep the pregnancies safe.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:00 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My daughter was born at week 32, 3 years ago. I have to take it every week until week 35. I don't want to have another premature birth so that is why I am taking them. I just can't seem to find a lot of information out there about them. My doctor said it was still being tested and I guess i missed that part because my husband told me that when we got home. I started to freak out.
    kysmom642

Comment by kysmom642 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My oldest son is 13, they have been using progesterone for quite a while! :) Talk to your doctor about what he meant, he should ease your mind.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Thanks =)
    kysmom642

Comment by kysmom642 (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My daughter took them for both her pregnancies. She was told her body doesn't make progesterone during pregnancies. Progesterone is what helps keep the pregnancy alive and growing. She had her first baby at 35.6 weeks. Her second at 28 weeks.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 10:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I've never had this shot, but I also haven't gone into pre term labor. If I would have with my first or this pregnancy I think I would probably get it.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i am curious about this as well. i have a preemie (33 weeks) & my midwife said they might do progesterone if i am pregnant again. i would definitely want to do something to prevent preterm birth because that was awful! but i would also want to know if it was safe and effective. from what i've read magnesium sulfate and terb aren't safe or effective, and procardia might work to stop labor for a day which would be good for the steroid shot. here is one link for progesterone

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/j.0001-6349.2005.00835.x

Results. Seven randomized, controlled trials were identified. Women who received progesterone were statistically significantly less likely to give birth before 37 weeks (....)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• and another

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W9P-4JSG788-1&_user=720495&_coverDate=05%2F31%2F2006&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1443513449&_rerunOrigin=scholar.google&_acct=C000040218&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=720495&md5=64b347f2a41edaa434073c3477421b6c

Results

Three trials were eligible for inclusion. There was a significant reduction in risk of delivery less than 37 weeks with progestational agents (relative risk [95% CI] = 0.57 [0.36-0.90]). There was no significant effect on perinatal mortality or serious neonatal morbidity.
    Conclusion

Progestational agents, initiated in the second trimester of pregnancy, may reduce the risk of delivery less than 37 weeks' gestation, among women at increased risk of spontaneous preterm birth, but the effect on neonatal outcome is uncertain. Larger randomized controlled trials are required to determine whether thi
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab004947.html

Prenatal administration of progesterone for preventing preterm birth in women considered to be at risk of preterm birth

Babies who are born before 37 weeks, and particularly those born before 34 weeks, are at greater risk of suffering problems at birth. Progesterone is a hormone that inhibits the uterus from contracting and is involved in maintaining pregnancy. The review of eleven randomised controlled trials, involving a total of 2714 women and 3452 infants, found that where progesterone was given (by injection into the muscle in some studies and as a pessary into the vagina in others), there were some beneficial effects, including prolonging the pregnancy, but there is insufficient information about other possible benefits or harms. Further research is being undertaken.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010