How much baby food do you feed your 6 Month Old?

My daughter is 6 Months old. Yesterday at her appointment the doctor told me I should be feeding her 2 Stage 2 Jars a day. I am only feeding her 1 Jar of Stage 2 a day. I was curious how much other Moms were feeding their 6 Months olds. My daughter was 7lbs 3oz at birth and now as of yesterday is 14lbs 9oz.

BeautyFromPain

Asked by BeautyFromPain at 9:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's up to the child. I fed her whatever she wanted AFTER her formula or bottle. At this age, feeding solids is more about getting used to the texture as their bodies cannot effectively digest the nutrients anyway.

If she isn't wanting to eat that much yet, don't worry. She is getting all that she needs from the formula.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• At six months, a kid need only as much as they will eat after breast milk or formula. I never did stage 2 jars and I won't do any jars with my next kid. Give her soft chunks of avocado, baked sweet potato, bananas and the like. And she doesn't "NEED" 2 jars of stage 2, she only needs BM or formula and then a little bit of real food to practice eating.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:01 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yeah I breastfeed her whenever she wants so I figure when shes hungry she will eat. I feed her until she is done eating which is usually a half jar of Stage 2 Foods. She is small so why force feed her. I just didnt see how the doctor didn't see that. She only gained a pound from her 3 Month Visit but grew 2 inches.
    BeautyFromPain

Comment by BeautyFromPain (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:03 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I wasnt able to feed my now 7 month old baby food until this past monday as he was tongue tied...now hes eating everything in sight...but 2 jars sound about right...hes eating a bowl of cereal int he morning then he has a jar of either fruits or veggies for lunch and then whatever soft i make with dinner whether its taters or noodles....he was born 10 lbs. 1 oz and at 7 month old weighs 22 lbs...Im glad to actually be able to put him on baby food now as he was going thru a whole can of formula in a matter of a day and a 1/2
    mommyof4cutekid

Answer by mommyof4cutekid at 10:03 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• He may be concerned that she isn't gaining fast enough. 1 lb in 3 months isn't much. That may be why he wants her to eat 2 jars.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• WOW Mommyof4cutekid! Glad your son is doing well now :) Yeah I forgot to mention I give her Oatmeal/Cereal in the morning and mix the 2nd half of the Stage 2 Jar for dinner with Cereal. The doctor said she should be eating Oatmeal/Cereal 2 times a day also. Just seems like a ton.
    BeautyFromPain

Comment by BeautyFromPain (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yeah Jademom07 I figured that is why he was concerned about her eating more but she is just small she doesnt look unhealthy she has baby fat. I dont know it just seems like to much food for her I guess I can go with my gut and build her up a little at a time. I mean she just started eating Baby Food this month. Im still going through the one new thing at a time.
    BeautyFromPain

Comment by BeautyFromPain (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I always gave my 6 month old a bowl of ceareal for breakfast with a jar of fruit and then again before bedtime to help him sleep through the night without getting hungry. I wouldn't force feed the baby is she doesn't want it but there are planty of opportunities in a day to get her to eat....my son has an average of 5 feedings a day between food and formula. (and for a little extra formula in his diet I mix the cereal with formula and just dip it into the fruit for taste).
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:16 AM on Aug. 27, 2010