Did anyone else have tongue tied babies and how are they doing now?

My 7 month old was born tongue tied and just had surgery to correct it on monday. He seems to be doing great and eating everything in sight but am worried about how it will affect his speech. Does anyone have a baby that was tongue tied and how are they doing with their speech now?

mommyof4cutekid

Asked by mommyof4cutekid at 10:06 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• My granddaughter was diagnosed at nine months old of being tongue tied. She had the surgery. She is a year and a half now. It really hasn't affected her speech, she is making new noises, but that is expected of children learning to talk. Her problem is chewing food and swallowing. The reason they found the problem was because of her bad sucking pattern while drinking bottles. She is still on bottles (pedisure) because she is refusing to swallow any form of food. She rolls it in her mouth and spits it out.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 10:09 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• he is doing good with eating after less then a week after the surgery....thats how i noticed it he was drinking fast flow nipples at 2 months old and they shouldnt be doing that....and then noticed it again cause he couldnt stick his tongue out very well
    mommyof4cutekid

Comment by mommyof4cutekid (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Since they diagnosed and treated it so early, he should have no ill effects from it. I know a lot of tongue tied kids and the ones the get it early are way better than those that have it fixed after age 1. And I know a kid in school that still has it and no one has ever bothered to fix it..he has a speech problem.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My youngest son was diagnosed with it at the age of 8 by a dentist, of all people. He didn't have it bad enough to cause problems with nursing or eating, which is probably why a doctor never mentioned it, but it was affecting his speech a tiny bit because he couldn't form proper sounds of some letters. Kids can be cruel to kids with even a tiny problem, so we had it taken care of by a wonderful ENT doctor and he didn't need any speech therapy.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• because you took care of it so early, I doubt you will even notice

my niece was tongue tied, they didn't take care of it until she was almost 5. There was a HUGE change in her speaking! It was amazing.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I have never heard of "tongue tied". I'll have to do some research to find out more about it.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 2:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• That was the way with me....Its when the tongue is attached to the gums behind the teeth and it makes it hard for them to move there tongue to swallow or talk
    mommyof4cutekid

Comment by mommyof4cutekid (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010