Medical Assistant vs Associates Degree RN

Hi there! Im looking to start going back to school hopefully in the next little bit. I was seriously considering getting my Associates as a Medical Assistant, since it would give me the flexability to find a job. But I've been thinking more lately about just getting my Associate RN and then working while I finish school?

My only concern is I'm not sure how I would so as an RN, it seems like a lot lot of responsibility which makes me a little nervous to be perfectly honest, whereas a MA might not be so much in the sense of life & death stuff

But then Im worried what if I do enjoy the nursing aspect of MA and then have to take a ton of more classes for RN?

Basically I'm just looking for advise from people in both careers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• well, i dont know anything about those careers, but why dont you just take a few RN classes your first semester and see if you like it?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:13 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I'm going to get my certification as a Medical Assistant and I've been told that have an associates in Medical Assisting doesn't help recieve better pay so it's pointless unless you plan to further yourself. Maybe you can get your MA and work as that for a bit and see if you want to stick with that or go up for your RN. Once you get your RN you can't demote yourself and go to MA so I would move up gradually to see what you like. I know already that I don't want to be a nurse because of all the stress and responsibility of it. Good Luck.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I'd go for getting an LPN degree. It's a year of schooling as opposed to two and once you get your LPN, you can work while you take RN classes.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I'm an RN and it's HUGE responsibility. If the doctor orders the wrong medicine you're supposed to recognize that and you are legally responsible if you go ahead and give it to the patient. If the physical therapist comes in and leaves your patient sitting in the chair too long, you are legally responsible for the patient's safety, even if you weren't aware that she had been put in a chair.

If you don't want that much responsibility, a Medical Assistant might be a more relaxed career for you, but you won't earn as much money and you won't have the opportunities that you would have as an RN.
    Gramma2Five

Answer by Gramma2Five at 10:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You need to sit down and ask yourself, "Where do I want to be in five years?". Be honest with yourself. The answer will help you make your decision.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 27, 2010